On June 4th at Asbury University in Wilmore, Ky., Garrett McAlister will be swimming for nearly 4 hours as part of his final preparation for the 20km Swim Around Key West and we're looking for people to cheer him on while raising money for charity!
Garrett and Christine founded Miles with Maeve after the tragic loss of their daughter, Maeve, last year 37 weeks into the pregnancy. Your generous donations will go to help families who've suffered a similar pregnancy or infant loss. Nearly 1 in 4 pregnancies end in loss so sadly there are millions of people in this country who are trying to cope with this tragedy.
Recreational and competitive swimmers of all ages can participate. We'd love to have you even if the shallow end is your thing or you just want to be a cheerleader:
- Splashers – For a fundraising minimum of $10, splash around in a free-swim area and cheer on the swimmers
- Swimmers – For a fundraising minimum of $50, try swim as many laps as possible in 30 minutes
- 1-Hour Racers – For a fundraising minimum of $100, challenge yourself to go an hour straight
- 2-Hour Racers – For a fundraising minimum of $150, go for the greatest Swim-A-Thon achievement of all: 100 laps in under 2 hours. We believe in you.
We encourage Swimmers and Racers to raise money by clicking Register and creating a personalized fundraising website, telling their friends and family about their awesome goal and asking for their support. Splashers can click Donate (on the right) and give a minimum of $10 per person to sign up.
We will also offer on-site registration starting at 10:00 am with the first swimmers hitting the water at 10:30 am. New waves start every 30 minutes. Splashers can join at any time. Swimmers and Racers can choose a morning (10:30 – 12:30) or afternoon start (12:30 – 2:30).
Miles with Maeve provide grants to nonprofits serving loss families, ones that comforted them as they began their life-long grief journey, such as:
- Molly Bears - Keepsake weighted teddy bears
- Little Angel Gowns - Burial gowns made from repurposed wedding dresses
- Faith's Lodge - A retreat center for bereaved families
- Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep - Professional rememberance photography
You can read more about our story, our mission, and the causes we support here: MilesWithMaeve.org