BENEFITING: Northwest Homeschool Athletic Cooperative
Meet the Northwest Nighthawks! Our purpose is to provide junior and senior high homeschooled students the opportunity to participate together in interscholastic athletics, giving these athletes a true competitive team experience while fostering relationships among participants, their families, and the local community.
We began the 2015-16 school year as the first-ever all-homeschool team to join the Minnesota State High School League, introducing the sport of cross country running to 27 student-athletes. The season was more than we ever could have asked for, and we are truly humbled by it all. A few highlights (you can watch the video, too):
- A full season of competition with local public and private school teams
- Family events including a fun run for younger siblings, organized by our student-athletes
- An individual State Championship qualifier
- Recognition of athletes’ community service through Presidential Volunteer Service Awards
- Team Academic Excellence Recognition from the Minnesota State High School Coaches' Association: both boys’ and girls’ varsity teams were awarded Gold Level status
Surprise! The kids asked us for a track team, and we agreed to create one for the spring of 2016. It’s an exciting time as we’ve overcome many challenges already; but this is a very different sport from cross country. We’re starting small and dreaming up creative ways to run a program without the traditional track & field equipment and facilities, but we do have a few “hurdles” remaining. :)
Finances are our biggest challenge right now. The coaches volunteer their time, and we run a lean budget. We’re scheduling hands-on fundraisers; but without help from taxes or tuition, our only other source of finances, transportation, etc., is team families, friends, and local businesses.
The track & field season officially begins March 14, and our remaining financial need is $1800. (If we beat our goal, it will allow us to purchase more equipment and introduce more events, and/or help us get a jump on pre-season expenses next year.) Any amount you can offer will be greatly appreciated, so thanks for helping us out! We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and will send you a receipt. Contact us if you'd like to send a check instead of using this site.
If you are interested in donating toward a specific goal we have, we are also offering a sponsorship program. Each sponsorship level comes with various publicity benefits (e.g., website, facebook, end-of-season awards program) as described on our Sponsor Page. Here are the basics:
- Race Sponsor ($500): Sponsors each of our teams (boys’ and girls’ varsity, JV, and junior high) at a regular-season meet.
- Equipment Sponsor ($250): Helps cover team supplies, facilities rental, and equipment (first aid, shelter, hurdles, starting blocks, batons, etc.).
- Uniform Sponsor ($100): Offsets one boy’s and one girl’s racing uniform (singlet and shorts).
- Award Sponsor ($50): Supports summer running incentives & end-of-season awards (varsity letters, community service, dedication, etc.).
Again, all contributions will be recognized--no matter the size. Your donation directly benefits local student-athletes and gives you the opportunity to be part of an exciting story. We value building relationships and would love your support. If you have any questions or ideas, let us know.
Thanks again, and be sure to follow/like us on Facebook!