Our Upcoming Fifth Charity Game March 31st!
February 09, 2017
BENEFITING: EMMANUEL CANCER FOUNDATION INC
EVENT DATE: Mar 20, 2015
The Emmanuel Cancer Foundation has been selected as the beneficiary for the Annual NJMS vs. RSDM Charity Hockey Game to be played Friday, March 20th at 8:00PM at the Prudential Center Amerihealth Pavilion in Newark.
In our inaugural year of the game in 2013, we were able to raise nearly $7,500 for NJ families impacted by Hurricane Sandy. Last year, in 2014, we were able to raise nearly $15,000 for the SeanHanna foundation in support of pediatric cancer patients and their families. This year, we are incredibly excited to support another NJ organization, the Emmanuel Cancer Foundation.
Since 1983, ECF has helped more than 1700 families in New Jersey manage their struggle with pediatric cancer. ECF recognizes that each family has a different experience and different needs. Consequently, ECF staff, Caseworkers, and volunteers have dedicated themselves over the past decades to helping families address these needs as they arise. ECF continues to provide a comprehensive package of support at no cost and in the comfort of the family's home. Services are coordinated by professional Caseworkers, who work with the children, siblings, and caretakers to help preserve their quality of life as they grapple with the challenges of pediatric cancer.
ECF's three pillars of support include:
IN-HOME PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING – the hallmark of our program
Recognizing the emotional toll a diagnosis like pediatric cancer can take on the family, ECF’s professional Caseworkers are focused on maintaining the emotional balance of the family unit. Caseworkers provide counseling and emotional support for the entire family and can help siblings, and others in the family understand what they need to know about cancer – in terms they can understand.
MATERIAL ASSISTANCE – the centerpiece for many families
This second pillar of our program is accomplished through our four Regional Centers where Regional Directors work with volunteers to collect and distribute donated groceries, toys, clothing, and household items as needed. Contributions from corporations, local businesses, families and civic associations help us to continue to make a difference and help to preserve the families’ quality of life.
FINANCIAL AID - a critical resource for those in crisis
Emergency funds are available for ECF families who find themselves in a financial crisis. These Funds help with basic services that a family needs to survive, such as rent or utilities. Sometimes, these funds reimburse the family for meals while they were in the hospital with their child. Tragically, in some incidents, funds are available for families who are unable to meet the high costs of memorial services.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS LAST YEAR:
- ECF served more than 250 families all over New Jersey
- Caseworkers made 570 home visits (50 more than last year) and provided an additional 1988 hours of services, at no cost to the families.
- Regional Centers provided well over $115,000 in food and material assistance to families, and collected and distributed over $10,000 in gift cards!
- 3404 bags of groceries were delivered to families by volunteers, 300 more than were delivered last year!
- 354 birthday bags were sent to ECF kids and their siblings. This is almost 100 more than we sent last year!
- 1318 holiday gift wishes were filled for ECF kids and their siblings, 200 more than we sent out last year.
- We distributed nearly $5500 of emergency funding to families in dire financial situations, helping with expenses such as mortgage payments, utility bills to prevent shut-off of services, reimbursement for meals for parents who are with their child in the hospital, and rental assistance.
- Dedicated volunteers logged in an amazing 3274 hours. We couldn't do it without you!