12 Planes CAF Units
The Buffalo Heritage Squadron was founded in 2014. As a newer squadron, we have really hit the ground running. Located in Akron, NY, near Buffalo, we maintain an SNJ-4. Honoring our Veterans, we have used the aircraft in military fly overs, memorial services, airshows and parades. We are working on quite a number of other local educational programs as well. The Buffalo Heritage Squadron is looking to raise money for our SNJ-4, nicknamed "Tex". Tex is in need of some restorations. We are preparing for an engine overhaul in the not so distant future (due to inconsistencies in the maintenance logbooks we can only estimate how much time is on the engine) and those overhauls are not cheap, but necessary! We would like to follow up with a fresh paint job as Tex is showing his age. We have already done so much work, a lot of it at our volunteers' personal expense, including repairing a couple minor oil leaks, replacing all oil and vacuum hoses, replacing multiple propeller seals, and are in the process of refurbishing our gyro instruments. We have also made a few improvements such as installing a Tanis oil tank heater for winter operations. HISTORY: N224X or "Tex" was manufactured in Dallas, Texas. It was manufactured under the government contract #DAW535-AC8 dated April 10, 1941. Almost 10,000 airplanes were built under that contract. N224X was built in a block of 2,400 airplanes between July 1942 and June 1943. North American had an internal charging system - a system for invoicing. Thus, the airplanes had a company contract number assigned to them for the purpose of billing. NA88 was the North American internal contract number for the T-6 program. "Tex" was accepted into service by the Navy on April 13th, 1943. In August of 1957, it was purchased from the US Naval Air Station at North Island, San Diego, California (Miramar) by a civilian in Arizona for $1,810; airplane registered as N7438C. In June of 1964, it was sold to an unknown aviation company in Arizona. In March of 1966, it was sold to a civilian in Shreveport, Louisiana. In September of 1966, the registration number was changed by the owner to N224X; small plate on outside left, front of cockpit canopy at base, bears owners initials (HMB). In August of 1974, it was purchased by the Confederate Air Force, and in January of 1991, transferred to the Cleveland Wing. Finally in August of 2014, it was transferred to the Buffalo Heritage Squadron. As you can see, there's lots of history in this specific aircraft, and we would like to keep the legacy alive, and make sure that history is passed on to the younger generations.