Since 1957, the Detroit Repertory Theatre (aka Millan Theatre Company) has been serving Detroit’s cultural needs in a way no other theatre does.
The mission of the Detroit Rep is to produce the best professional theatre while fostering cultural democratization of the arts, and fighting—by example—the racism that still exists in our region.
Any donation you can make will keep professional, union, nonprofit, indigenous, diversity-centered theatre thriving in the heart of Detroit.
With your help to reach our goal of $20,000, you will help support the Detroit Repertory Theatre's outreach programs, including our Free Summer Arts Festival, our Actors Workshop, and Cultural Fellowship program.
About the Rep:
The Detroit Rep is the oldest professional (union) nonprofit theatre in Michigan and it has lived in a neighborhood in the center of the city of Detroit since 1957. The Rep:
· Hires local actors and artists, paying them union wages with benefits
· Has multiple ticket plans that focus on reaching the unreached –the lowest ticket prices for professional theatre in the region
· Casts its shows regardless of race, ethnicity, and sometimes gender, unless germane to the play, resulting in theatre experiences that show our humanity and how alike we are to each other
· Produces a free actors’ workshop for low- to moderate-income adults who may have not had the opportunity to explore their creativity
· Brings in clients of Care Management Agencies, so these underserved get a cultural experience and a bit of quality of life
· Showcases and sells the art of local early career artists in the Gilda Snowden Lobby Gallery – The Rep takes no commission
All of these things make the Rep a one-of-a-kind theatre. A theatre, in the heart of Detroit, that proves the power of diversity acting in unity.
Note: If you are already a Detroit Rep supporter: your donation can be applied to your Anna Holley Pledge ($1/week =$52, $2/week =$104, or GOLD=$150), as well as Citizen Sponsorships ($300 - $500), and Diamond Donor ($1000+) support.