DOC HOUSE 2.0 IS COMING IN 2019.
Docs In Progress will be moving house again in just a couple of months. And this time, we are super excited for the move because it will help usher in a new era for the organization. Get in on the ground floor with us to help invest in the future of documentary community.
A donation in any amount will help Docs In Progress continue to do everything we already do to support the documentary community and will also help us with the building blocks of some new programming we will be able to offer in our our new space.
We have some exciting perks to offer, as well as the biggest perk of all - a brand new space where we can better serve our growing community. Scroll down for more details on what's to come and what perks you can claim.
Thank you to everyone who has already given!
We will be keeping this campaign open until January 15, 2019 to allow those who prefer to bundle their tax-deductible donations into a single year to decide if you want that year to be 2018 or 2019.
If we surpass our $15,000 goal, your donation will still make a difference.
While the $15,000 goal was aimed at helping us manage the transition to our new space, any additional funds raised will be put towards Docs In Progress programs, including our free/pay-what-you-can screening programs and scholarships for adults and youth who want to learn documentary filmmaking.
A REGIONAL DOCUMENTARY HUB
Since 2004, Docs In Progress has been committed to building community through documentary -- from novices learning the basics of the documentary craft to more experienced filmmakers looking for professional development to aficionados who relish seeing real stories and interacting with the creatives behind them.
In early 2019, Docs In Progress will move to new permanent space in downtown Silver Spring. It may seem like deja vu. While our 2017 move happened quickly after the original "Documentary House" was sold by a landlord, our upcoming move has been in the works for several years.
This represents a partnership with Montgomery County's Housing Opportunities Commission which selected Docs In Progress as one of only three nonprofits to occupy ground floor space in Alexander House, part of the new Elizabeth Square multi-use development in downtown Silver Spring.
Our new home will allow us to better serve our growing community by offering:
- A state-of-the-art filmmaking education center with new equipment, editing suites, and larger classrooms.
- A screening room that will seat up to 50 people and host special public events.
- Community programming including screenings, video educational programs for adults, youth, and elders, and a new workforce development program.
- Convenience to public transportation and parking (one block from the Silver Spring Metro and public parking only steps away)
- Office space for staff, one-on-one consultations, our Filmmaker-in-Residence, and members of our community who have need of meeting space or editing facilities.
- More opportunities for the regional filmmaking community to connect face-to-face in a comfortable, welcoming space.
EMPOWER. ENGAGE. ENVISION.
As Docs In Progress celebrates our first ten years as a nonprofit (and 14 years of programming), we look forward to our next decade as we continue to empower new documentary storytellers, engage with the diverse communities we serve (filmmakers, film viewers, and neighbors), and envision a future where everyone who has a story to tell can get that opportunity. The Alexander House facility will be a big part of our story and hopefully yours as well.
WHY YOUR SUPPORT IS CRITICAL?
We are grateful to the Housing Opportunities Commission for managing the buildout of the space and to the Arts & Humanities Council of Montgomery County and the Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation for providing more than $30,000 towards expenses of equipping the new space. However, we still need to raise funds to make the space the best it can be for our community and to ensure that operations continue smoothly during the transition.
We would not be where we are today without our community, and that is why we are asking for your support now. We want the space to be the best it can be so that we can better serve people like you.
HOW DOES OUR GOAL BREAK DOWN?
- $5,000 will be used for moving expenses (packing and moving all our furniture, equipment, and files, getting both the old and new space cleaned up, getting our Internet and phone service up and running as soon as possible, and setting up a PO box during the interim between moving out and moving in).
- $5,000 will be used to cover operational expenses during the transition period when we will be moving out of the old space and into the new space. There will be a brief few weeks when we won't be able to offer any programs at the space while we are getting it set up, but we will still be responsible for paying rent, staff, and utilities while continuing to plan and deliver programs offsite. Your support will help us weather this period.
- $5,000 will go as a direct match for one of our grants so that we can demonstrate we have community support for our initiatives and to ensure we can get our new space set up and operational as soon as possible.
All donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.
If you want to donate online, just click on the purple DONATE NOW button.
If you prefer to donate by check or other means, your donation can still count towards the campaign. Make checks payable to Docs In Progress and mail to:
Docs In Progress
801 Wayne Avenue - Suite G-100
Silver Spring, MD 20910
If you have questions about forms of giving or want to give a larger contribution as part of our Capital Campaign, contact Docs In Progress Executive Director Erica Ginsberg at 301-789-2797 or ericaATdocsinprogressDOTorg
While we know many of you are motivated to give just by knowing that you are investing in all that Docs In Progress does, we also have some perks to provide an added incentive:
$75 - DOCS INSIDERS PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP: For anyone who donates at least $75, you will have the option of joining or extending your membership in our Docs Insiders program at the Premium level (normally $95). This will give you a $25 discount on all Docs In Progress programs for 12 months plus access to apply for our fellowship and fiscal sponsorship programs.
$100 - OUT OF THE BOX: For anyone who donates at least $100, we will write a thank you note to you by name on one of our moving boxes and will take a photo of it and share it on social media.
$250 - HAVE A SEAT: For anyone who donates at least $250, we will include a plate with your name (or your company's name) on the back of one of our new chairs which will be in the Screening Room.
$500 - ON THE WALL: Our front entryway to our new space will feature a donor wall where individuals, families, or companies can let the world know how much they support Docs In Progress.
$1,000 - PREMIERE RECEPTION: We will be hosting a special preview of the space in the new year. Donors at this level will be invited to join us for this exclusive tour of the new space followed by a private reception with mojitos and food provided by Cubano's.