Leave a legacy and help us tell everyone’s story.
Nothing’s more important to Docs In Progress than building a community of visual storytellers who have fresh, diverse perspectives crucial to social change and an awareness of key issues facing our communities, near and far. That’s why we’ve just moved to a larger, permanent space to grow our programming and impact.
Our move came at one of our busiest times of year, but we did not want it to affect already-scheduled programs. Even with boxes yet to unpack and rooms still to set up, we welcomed our 2019 Fellows into the space just three days after moving in. In the weeks since, we have held seven more programs in the new space, including Peer Pitch, a youth summer camp, a Documentary Roundtable, and three filmmaking workshops with more to come. Everyone who has been in the space has been excited by its size and potential.
Though our new space is functional, there is still work to be done. Our next step is to get new chairs for our screening room so that it can start being used as a screening room that can accommodate up to 60 people in comfort
While chairs are inanimate objects, it is what happens in the chairs that matters. At Docs In Progress, this includes:
- Free monthly screenings and discussions that will showcase independently-produced documentaries and give filmmakers the opportunity to get "unstuck" by sharing and getting feedback on their docs-in-progress both from other filmmakers and a real world audience;
- Filmmaking training for everyone from middle schoolers to retirees;
- Opportunities for the local filmmaking community to expand their networks and know-how through meet-ups and professional development talks and panels with experts on different aspects of the documentary;
- An annual community film festival that spotlights stories by and about people, places, history, and happenings in our region.
Between now and the first week of September, we want to raise $10,000 that will go towards these seats and what happens in them.
LEAVE A LEGACY
While we accept donations in any amount, we have a few special perks available:
If you donate $250 or more, your donation we will support our Capital Campaign that supports costs associated with our new facilities, including the chairs. As a thank you, we will add your name (or that of your company or a loved one you want to honor or remember) to our Screening Room Stars* that will be displayed prominently in the Screening Room.
If you donate $500 or more, you will get an even bigger nameplate on the Wall of Honor* entry hallway to our new space.
* These name recognition plates are expected to be in place by the end of 2019.
We are also happy to discuss higher level naming rights if you wish to sponsor a room or a program.
Even if you can't donate at one of these levels, your donation in any amount will still make a world of difference, helping to match grants and support free programs such as our Community Stories Festival and year-round screenings.
You may donate online by clicking "Donate" on our Crowdrise campaign or you may send a check made payable to "Docs In Progress" to:
Docs In Progress
8560 2nd Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Docs In Progress is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. A donation at any amount will make a difference and may be tax deductible to the full extent of the law.