Though I will not be running the Boston Marathon this year, I am proud to have joined the 2019 Dream Big! Boston Marathon Alumni Team.
When I ran Boston in 2016, I wanted to run to give young girls the same opportunities that I had growing up. When I was younger I had the chance to play several different sports which helped me develop skills that have impacted me well beyond the playing field.
This time around, I have committed to running at least 26.2 miles and raising at least $1000 by April 15th, Marathon Monday, to support the important work Dream Big! does every day.
Every day a girl in need steps on the playing field, court, or track without the proper footwear, equipment, sports attire, or training. Imagine trying to run the Boston Marathon with out any sneakers or proper training.
Dream Big! works to provide girls from low-income situations with the equipment, uniforms, athletic footwear, program fees, training expenses, and sports opportunities they need to participate in sports and physical activities that contribute to their health, education, and overall well-being.
Over the past eight years Dream Big! programs have had a direct impact on more than 35,000 girls in need through equipment donations, program fee scholarships, sports clinics, college showcases and the Dream Big! Leadership Conferences for middle and high school female athletes in urban communities.
Here are a few examples of the impact Dream Big! donations had this past year:
- Donated over $200,000 in new sports attire, uniforms and athletic footwear to girls track, basketball, double dutch, volleyball and soccer athletes in urban communities
- A donation of a volleyball net and equipment allowed a middle school volleyball team to add a girls volleyball program to their school
- Dream Big! Program Scholarships sent hundreds of student athletes to basketball college showcases, soccer and volleyball camps, dance classes and gymnastics lessons and hundreds of girls attended Dream Big! Sports Clinics in partnership with local college sports teams.
My goal is to raise $1,000 for Dream Big!
No donation is too small, and I truly appreciate any amount. Here are examples of what your donation can do:
- $35 will purchase a regulation soccer ball or basketball
- $50 will purchase a pair a new pair of sneakers or cleats
- $100 pays for an 8 week dance or fitness class for 1 girl
- $200 Pays for a new bike and helmet
- $500 pays for a week long summer sports camp
Donations of any amount will help support the mission of Dream Big! Thank you for considering to donate to this amazing cause and for supporting me in my next 26.2.
All the best,