Child marriage is a violation of human rights for girls. Donate to end it.
Child marriage can be found in cultures, religions, ethnicities and countries around the world. It violates girls’ rights to health and education, exposes them to a lifetime of violence and traps them in a cycle of poverty.
Each year, 12 million girls are married before the age of 18. If current trends continue, the number of girls and women married as children will grow from 650 million today to nearly 1 billion by 2030.
· 23 girls every minute become child brides.
· More than 60 percent of women, ages 20-24, with no education were married before the age of 18. Girls who marry young are less likely to receive the education they need to live a healthy and empowered life.
· Complications in pregnancy and childbirth are the leading cause of death in girls aged 15-19 globally.
· Girls from poor families are more than three times more likely to marry before 18 as girls from wealthier families.
· Globally, girls who marry before the age of 15 are 50 percent more likely to face physical or sexual violence from a partner.
How Zonta helps:
Zonta International has joined the Global Programme to Accelerate Action to End Child Marriage that combines efforts by UNICEF, UNFPA and other partners to end child marriage in 12 countries: Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Mozambique, Nepal, Niger, Sierra Leone, Uganda, Yemen and Zambia. This multi-country initiative brings together governments, civil society, families and young people in a collective effort to prevent girls from being married too young and to support girls who are already married.
Zonta is currently supporting the project’s initial phase, which has the potential to directly reach 2.5 million girls. To date, more than 1 million girls have been reached through life skills and school attendance support and 1.67 million individuals have been engaged in community-based behavior change and sensitization activities.
We believe the impact of this project will change the world. Therefore, we have pledged the highest sum to date to a single project: US$2 million over two years.
To learn more about how the program is turning commitment into tangible action to affect meaningful and lasting change in girls’ lives, visit https://foundation.zonta.org/EndingChildMarriage.
All donations will be directed to the Zonta International Foundation's Zonta International Strategies to End Violence Against Women Fund.
Help us end child marriage by giving now!