Angelena Stokes-Wickersham and Ryan Stimmel team up to compete in the Experience Guatemala Challenge raising funds and awareness for Niños de Guatemala. It’s a silly event for a serious cause that will put Angie and Ryan's travel skills and toughness to the test!
They’re passionate about education and the kind of people to people connection that might enhance the life of a Westerner through a mindful yoga practice, or save the life of a more vulnerable citizen of a developing country by better connecting them to the rest of the world.
In his twenties, Ryan spent years traveling through, sojourning and working in Guatemala. He worked in the non-profit sector establishing his own children’s education foundation, taught at the university level and managed and guided for an adventure tours outfit. Today he runs a travel and tourism company that brings Westerners to meet their neighbors in the developing Global South and picks up classes at Ignite Fitnez when he’s not traveling. He also takes his therapy dog Babas, born and brought back from his days in Guate, into primary schools and children’s libraries to read with the children they find there. He’s betting on his years of experience and language skill to give his team an edge during the Challenge.
Angelena first traveled to Guatemala when she was 19 during a study abroad trip. She fell in love with the colors and people that make of the beautiful country. It was her first trip abroad and inspired a love for travel and cultural connection through immersion. During her time in college she volunteered with Casa Marianella, a non-profit providing refuge to newly arrived immigrants and pro bono legal counselors to facilitate the process of becoming a legal citizen. Since then she has taken more trips to Central and South America expanding her understanding of different cultures and working to make an impact in the countries she visits. Today she teaches specialized yoga classes to expecting mothers, children, elderly, and the general public.
Please donate to Team GoodTrip and the Experience Guatemala Challenge and 80% of your gift will go to CambioNDG and their three charter schools (two primary and one secondary) that serve over 500 children and support their families. The other 20% go into making the Experience Guatemala Challenge possible which in itself is an awareness and funds raising activity.
Ryan, Angie and the children of Guatemala thank you!