I am incredibly lucky to be surrounded by wonderful people as I turn 25. Not everyone has the love and support that I am blessed to have, and every birthday, I try to make things a little bit better for those in my community who have things so much harder. This year, as every year, I'm raising money for one of my favorite organizations in the city. Please consider sharing this fundraiser, even if you cannot donate today. Every dollar goes to helping a New York based organization that fiercely fights against gender-based violence and provides support to survivors.
Sanctuary for Families is a New York City organization that has the most comprehensive approach to tackling gender-based violence I have come across. They provide a wide range of services for survivors of domestic abuse, sex trafficking, and related forms of violence including housing/shelter, counseling (individual, group, family, and crisis), economic empowerment courses, legal and immigration aid, childcare, educational support, and more. They also do community outreach and are fierce advocates for policy change. With their support, New York State officially raised the minimum age for marriage to 17 with no exceptions, ending child marriage just LAST YEAR. There is still so much work to be done and they are doing amazing.
Sanctuary for Families
- Has staff that speak over 30 different languages to help as many people as possible, many of whom are immigrants and may not speak English as their first language.
- Provides services to over 15,000 people per year.
- Operates in 19 different locations throughout the New York City Area.
- Provides childcare, kids activities, and educational help for kids who are dealing with domestic violence or human trafficking related situations.
- Employs trained counselors to help families get through difficult times.
- Helps people regardless of family situations-- you do not have to be a mother to get help. Kids can get help even if other family members are not able to join them.
Please consider sharing this fundraiser, even if you are not in a position to participate! Every dollar will help someone in need. I also encourage you to join their email mailing list so you can stay informed about the issues, and learn about opportunities to help. If you work for a company with a corporate donation matching program, let me know if I can provide you with anything to make your donation eligible for a matching donation from your company.