N has been married for almost 18 years and in that time, she has experienced severe verbal, emotional and financial abuse:
* Her husband began withholding affection during her pregnancy (their son is now 15)
* He cannot - or will not - control his temper. She, their son, the family pets and inanimate objects have all been subject to rage
* A week after the baby was born, he drained their joint savings and took hang-gliding lessons because "It's the perfect time for me to do this"
* He broke down the bathroom door when their then five-year-old locked the door so he could use the potty in peace
* While she was working full-time and finishing her degree, he signed up for dating websites because they'd "been fighting a lot"
* He quit paying both their mortgages and let the second go to collections because he was angry that she'd landed a higher paying job
* He also closed out a retirement account, causing them to owe $9K in back taxes for 2016 and 2017 and quit paying on the installment agreement for their federal taxes, causing her to have to scramble to figure out how to pay it all at once
* The antique dining room chairs disappeared one day while she was awaiting her parents' arrival for Thanksgiving dinner (she later found them in storage)
* He regularly tosses her clothing, shoes and even bills in the garage and gets extremely angry over "clutter"
* He refused to take her to the ER after she fell and broke her arm, and yelled at her after she hit her head during a bike ride, resulting in a concussion
* When her alcoholic dad died suddenly, he told her she should be happy she didn't have "real problems"
N is afraid of her husband and his temper. Their only child has special needs and attends a special school. He also has been the recipient of his dad’s anger (he had his favorite toys given away when he was in kindergarten after he’d had a potty accident).
Due to the many financial missteps, N is unable to afford the $5,000 retainer to hire a competent divorce lawyer who is versed in domestic abuse cases. She also has suffered a low FICO score as a result. She is hoping to exit the marriage soon and regain her life. Any little bit helps. Thank you!