Every Tuesday evening I head to East Somerville where I am a Playspace Activity Leader (PAL) with Horizons for Homeless Children. I am greeted by a group of energetic, smiling children who cannot wait to play! We paint pictures, build blocks, play dress up, dance, "cook" food, read books, do puzzles and really just about any activity the kids can think up. It may be for only two hours a day, but offering a safe, stable playspace for the children makes a lasting impact on their lives.
Did you know that homeless children have 2x the rate of learning disabilities and 3x the rate of emotional-behavioral disorders than children who are housed? Horizons for Homeless Children improves the lives of young homeless children and their families in MA by providing high-quality early education and opportunities for play. Your donation will help fund the 120 Playspaces across Massachusetts and assist the 2000 children HHC educates each week.
Your gift will support:
- Materials to equip and open a new Playspace ($10,000 cost)
- Educational workshops for parents ($5,000 cost)
- Curriculum enrichment including yoga, music, and art classes ($2,500 cost)
- Play Kitchen to inspire the next famous chef ($250 cost)
- Dramatic play costumes and props to spur imagination and creativity ($150 cost)
- Set of puzzles that will build children’s problem solving skills ($50 cost)
Thank you for attending my fundraising events!
Ride to Run at Mike's Fitness, JP 2/24 @ 3 pm
Beers for Boston at Sam Adams Brewery, JP 2/24 @ 4 pm
I'm honored to run my first Boston Marathon for Horizons for Homeless Children to benefit all of the kids I have laughed, worked and played with for the last 5+ years. Thank you for your generosity. See you April 16th!