September 14th will mark Easton’s 6th birthday and the first birthday he will celebrate in Heaven. Our hearts break knowing that we won’t be able to celebrate with him on Earth. Through our sadness, we have found joy and happiness knowing our beautiful boy who loved the sounds of animals, adored watching Finding Nemo, Wall-E, and UP, and had a smile that could light up an entire room is now running and playing, pain free, with the angels.
With the help of Mighty Oakes Heart Foundation, Kyle and I were able to remain at Easton’s bedside and give him every single reason to keep fighting. We wholeheardly believe this was one of the reasons Easton lived 5 amazing years, despite being told time and time again that he wouldn't live long after birth. Without the Mighty Oakes Heart Foundation helping our family relocate to Kansas City, we wouldn’t have been able to always be there. Words will never be able to explain how appreciative we were for that mighty grant. It gave us the gift of time with our son.
Our family got five INCREDIBLE years with Easton. He became a big brother to Casey and Lincoln who absolutely adored him, experienced going to preschool and making friends, and was able to experience the sounds of the ocean and the texture of the beach in San Diego, California—an experience we never thought could happen for him. We know that God chose myself and Kyle to be Easton’s parents and we couldn’t be prouder to be his mom and dad. In five years, he taught us more about the true meaning of life and happiness than we could have ever learned in an entire lifetime.
In legacy of Easton, we would like to dedicate his birthday to the Mighty Oakes Heart Foundation, an organization that provides financial and emotional support to families dealing with the myriad challenges of having a child with a congenital heart defect. Some of the mighty ways this organization helps heart families are by:
- Providing families with gas cards; gift cards to stores like Wal-Mart and Target for essentials; gift cards to restaurants and coffee shops
- Delivering meals to families at the hospital and to their homes · Buying birthday gifts and holiday gifts for patients, siblings, parents
- Paying for hotel rooms of traveling families for days, for many weeks, often months
- Paying for Ronald McDonald House bills
- Paying relocation costs so families can relocate to cities that provide specialized care for complex heart defects
- Paying utility and mortgage payments ensuring these families have a home to come back too
- Catching families back up on vehicle payments to ensure they have transportation to the hospital
- Pampering moms who are usually standing vigil at a bedside by sending them to lunch, for a haircut, or for a massage
- Commissioning a jewelry designer to make custom fingerprint jewelry of children who do not have much time left.
- Paying for funeral expenses
By making a donation, you can help us keep Easton's legacy alive and help heart babies and thier families from the midwest in a MIGHTY way. All donations are tax deductible.
Brittney, Kyle, Casey and Lincoln