I'd like you to know the following things about literacy.
1. Literacy is a fundamental human right.
- Once a person is fed, clothed and housed, they should be able to read & write.
2. If you can read and write, you likely take it for granted on a daily basis.
3. If you have any difficulty reading or writing, you likely suffer from it on a daily basis.
4. The methods for increasing overall literacy rates in Chicago are complex, nuanced and multi-faceted.
5. The difference between success and failure in our society hinges on your ability to read & write at an early age.
- Approx. 85% of juvenile offenders have difficulty reading.
- Approx. 70% of prison inmates read at the lowest measurable levels.
6. The Chicago Literacy Alliance exists to support its 120+ member organizations in their fight to combat illiteracy and support a lifelong love of reading and writing in the children, teenagers & adults they serve all across Chicago.
If you know these things, and you believe in a future where all are equal and all have a fair shake, please support our dream of a 100% literate Chicago.
Besides the warm fuzzies of supporting a great cause, there's something in it for you!
Donate to the Chicago Literacy Alliance, and I will offer up my writing abilities in the following fashion:
1. Poetic Postcards
I will mail a handwritten, clever/thoughtful/artsy postcard to you or a person of your choosing for a birthday or holiday (Don't forget Galentine's Day!). On each postcard, I will compose an amazing 8 line poem proclaiming your love/appreciation/platonic bromance for said person. I AM MAGIC WITH HAVE WORDS.
$19 for (1) poetic postcard
$29 for (2) poetic postcards
$49 for (4) poetic postcards
2. Fancy Handwritten Letters
Option A: Character Study
I will mail a handwritten letter to a child from a holiday character of your choosing. THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES. Your toddler would absolutely freak when you read her/him a letter from Santa, the Grinch or Frank Costanza about how great a kid they are. If your kid is old enough to read, but not old enough to know better, they might ACTUALLY THINK IT'S FROM THE NORTH POLE.
Option B: Honoring Our Military
I will hand write a one page letter to someone in the military, either deployed, in reserve or a veteran. No jokes, here. Just solid support for the bravest in the business. I might send them some jokes, though.
Option C: The ‘Rents Too Great
I will hand write a one page letter to your parent or grandparent telling them how awesome they are. You KNOW you need to do this. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WROTE YOUR (insert family member title here)???
$29 for (1) letter
$49 for (2) letters
$89 for (4) letters
+$10 for additional pages
3. Opinion Pieces
$49 - I will write a letter to a politician of your choosing about a topic of your choice. Look out, Senator/School Board Rep.
$99 - I will write someone you know and try to persuade them to think differently about a specific topic. I straddle middle ground like the PLAINS STATES.
4. The Letter That Keeps On Giving
$250 - I will write one Fancy Handwritten Letter each month of 2018 to a person or persons of your choosing. You can name the topic, or I can make it up from scratch. I AM THE BEST AT WORDING.
5. "Bring Me All The Bacon & Eggs You Have. Wait…"
$500 - I will send one of EVERY option above to persons of your choosing. It's like being able to eat everything on the menu and not gain a pound.
(I'll follow up with you to clarify the specifics of your request.)