Support the unique way PortSide NewYork gives New Yorkers and visitors a daily ship experience - including a week-long visit by the AMISTAD featuring dockside tours. Help us sustain and grow TankerTime during this $10,000 kick-off summer campaign.
During daytime TankerTime, the deck of our historic ship, the tanker MARY A. WHALEN, is free and open to the public and set with hammocks, lounge chairs, and café tables, plus maritime books to read, the TankerTots toy area and free art supplies at our ArtTable. The evenings of Second Sundays TankerTime, it’s a BYOB community party, a salon afloat, from 6pm to midnight with a Mediterranean music jam at 10pm.
What Does TankerTime Mean to Locals and Visitors?
A lot to many. For some, it’s their first time on a boat. For others: a great place to watch ships and waterbirds, chill after work, watch the sunset, open a maritime book, a good date location. It’s where families draw together and have take-out dinner delivered; where parents kick back while little ones play, draw and read; where you bring your parents when they visit from out of town. It can also be a cool staff meeting spot. A soothing place to deal with bereavement. And for some of our low-income neighbors without art supplies or few books at home, the ArtTable and library become cherished amenities.
Responses to TankerTime:
“This place is such an oasis. Thank you,” said one young mother.
Four-year old Ivy donated some of her toys for our TankerTots play area. Her mother explained, “She loves the MARY ship.”
From a UK visitor: "We are a long way away. But if your ship is worth preserving—and it is—it doesn't matter how far away we are. I wish we had something like it."
How Your Donations Will Help:
Please donate now so that we can expand TankerTime to weekend daytime hours and to cover these amenities, upgrades and overhead:
• Free art supplies for the ArtTable
• New deck furniture such as cafe tables, hammock nets and lounge chairs, as well as a tent to protect the books and create a kids' reading room
• Compensate musicians who jam on SecondSundays
• Pay for additional staff to guarantee weekend TankerTime hours
• Liquor insurance. We can’t sell it, but we have to insure everyone’s BYOB
• New design and printing of brochures about the ship
• New exhibit banners on the FenceMuseum next to the ship
• A new house and hammock for ship cat Chiclet
Your support helps PortSide NewYork create life-changing WaterStories experiences. Thank you!