Recently I decided that I had another marathon in me. Realizing that, I knew right away which marathon would be my next (and possibly last) to run... the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington, DC. The opportunity to run 26.2 miles alongside our military is not only a honor for me but also small in comparison to my overall appreciation of our service men and women.
In order to run the Marine Corp Marathon, I have to choose a charity to benefit. I had the option to choose from a list of 30+ approved charities, each very deserving and therefore complicating my decision making process. But after hours of research, my heart was set on the USO of North Carolina. "Why" you might ask? The answer is multi-pronged.
1. MY APPRECIATION TO THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO HAVED SERVED - Many of the charities to choose from were military based, though many were not. Everything from autism to child advocacy to cancer was represented. But one of the reasons I specifically want to run the Marine Corp Marathon is to show my appreciation to the service men and women of this country. Therefore I was determined to choose a military based charity.
2. A FAMILY OF MULTIPLE SERVICE MEN - the USO supports all 6 branches of the military. As the daughter and stepdaughter of Army veterans, and the sister of a Navy veteran, choosing a charity that would serves all branches of the military was important.
3. NORTH CAROLINA BASED - as a NC resident for almost half my life now, it felt meaningful for me to fundraise for a charity where I know the money will help my local service men and women. The USO of NC handles 600,000 service connections each year... all of them staying right here in NC.
4. NOT FUNDED BY THE NATIONAL USO - The USO of NC is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, not funded by the national USO, relying on the generosity of neighbors and corporate partners, and individuals like you and me.
5. 93 CENTS OF EVERY DOLLAR FUNDRAISED GOES DIRECTLY TO PROGRAMS - This was absolutely the most important item for me, and speaks for itself. See for yourself on CharityNavigator.org.
I hope you landed on this page in consideration to donate to my cause. I hope the five reasons above helped make that decision easy for you.
Thank you for any consideration,