Our scene shop, located at 1336 Sanford Street (across from Hackley Stadium), is in desperate need of a new roof. This site houses all of our costumes, props, set pieces and is where all of our shows are first built and then stored. As the seasons progress, it becomes more and more obvious that our roof won't last much longer. When it rains outside, it rains inside, so currently, we have an interior gutter system that moves the leaks to our sinks. These leaks will eventually lead to losing valuable items and potentially major damage that cannot be repaired.
Construction of the building was completed in September 1900 as a church and remained a church until 1950. At this point, it was purchased and used as performance space by Greater Muskegon Civic Theatre and then by the famous Port City Playhouse until the merger in 1984, creating Muskegon Civic Theatre as it is today. At this point, the building became our scene shop and is still used in that capacity.