Open Field (formerly CameroonDP) is a Pittsburgh-based 501c3 nonprofit organization with international reach. Since 2010, our global team has engaged more than 3,000 youth in educational soccer programming, mentoring relationships, travel abroad experiences, and cultural exchange in Cameroon, Africa and Pittsburgh, PA. Our innovative approach to Sport for Good empowers youth to be leaders in their community and gain skills to help them succeed on and off the field.
Our PLAY4PURPOSE Charity Tournament began in 2012 at the University of Pittsburgh and has been going strong every since. To date, we've raised over $10,000 to support our mission to improve the lives and futures of youth through sport. This year, with the launch of our Pittsburgh programming, we're taking it to a whole other level!
UPMC Health Plan
How you can participate:
1. Register your team. We're encouraging teams to commit to raising $1,000+ as a group.
2. Become a sponsor. Your family or company could sponsor a field, a team, or the event!
3. Donate to support a specific team or to the campaign (link above). Everyone can support our mission!
About our Approach: Our Sport for Good model creates a safe space for youth to play and learn, with an educational topic connected to every practice and game. Teenagers take on leadership roles as coaches, referees, and mentors to their peers. Youth learn life skills during practice and games to support their success on and off the field. Participants emerge from our programs with new skills to succeed in school and in the work force. We provide transformative experiences and transferable skills to youth through sport. We partner with community groups to integrate our approach into their youth development activities to achieve common goals.
Our Impact: Youth who participate in our programming stay in school and out of trouble.
· 750 active youth participants in the U.S. and Africa
· 13% increase in confidence in leadership skills*
· 25% increase in knowledge about life skills topics
· 40% more likely to have done service projects in their community*
· Two past Cameroon program participants employed as Community Leaders
· One past Cameroon program participant playing collegiate soccer in the U.S.
*Multiple year vs. first year participants
What is Sport for Good? Sport for Good, also known as ‘sport for development and peace’ or ‘sport-based youth development’, is a theory and practice for youth engagement that leverages the passion and character-building attributes inherent in sport to create positive outcomes in the lives of participants far beyond the playing surface. A successful Sport for Good initiative is intentional in the design and implementation of activities that go above and beyond traditional sport instruction.