Johnny's Gatehouse was the first building constructed at the fairgrounds in Placerville. Built in 1937 by the Works Progress Administration, this stone house is filled with history and memories. The two room building has recently been an office and ticket booth for use during fair time.
As the first gate (on Placerville Dr.) this is considered the the entrance to the El Dorado County fairgrounds. This 80 year old rock building has begun to sag, and is becoming unsafe, as well as inadequate for today's technology and needs.
Our dream is to rebuild a new Johnny's Gatehouse (Johnny Studebaker is our fair grounds mascot, and a carved statue of him resides on top of this building), utilizing existing rocks as decor, while modernizing it to suit the needs of 2018 and improve the appearance to the gate.