Hello Neighbor, a Pittsburgh-based nonprofit that works to support recently resettled refugee families by matching them with dedicated neighbors to support and guide them in their new lives, is launching a new program to support new moms and their children and we need your help.
Two years ago, we started because one mom saw a need in her community to support other moms who were refugees. Since then, we’ve matched 97 families from 13 different countries with caring and supportive Pittsburgh neighbors. Together they’ve participated in over 4,000 mentoring hours, over 500 individual outings and activities and together we’ve explored some of Pittsburgh’s best landmarks helping the refugee families feel more comfortable and confident in their new lives.
Our peer-based and family-oriented mentoring program has gained local and national accolades for capturing an important segment of refugees in their resettlement process. And we’re just getting started!
98% of our families have children under the age of 18 in the home and since 2017 we’ve welcomed 16 beautiful and healthy babies - all the first American Citizens in their families! We have seen first-hand the need for refugee support, especially when it comes to helping our new moms. Across the world and at home here in Pittsburgh, refugee women who are pregnant or recently gave birth face significant challenges. On top of the typical postpartum blues (it is estimated that 50-85% of women experience postpartum blues in the first few weeks after delivery), the refugee women also experience challenges such as language barriers, discrimination, poverty, and separation from their culture and family, leading to feelings of isolation.
To combat these challenges, Hello Neighbor is launching a New Mom Support Program. This program has three initial initiatives:
- Provide baby boxes to each new mom, complete with necessary newborn items like diapers, clothing, toys, and formula.
- Organize a community meal train to make and deliver meals for the family in the first month after birth.
- Match an educated and caring advocate volunteer with each new mom to visit before and after birth, help schedule doctors appointments, and help connect her to other resources that can continue to support her and baby.
The New Moms Support Program aims to reduce periods of isolation, provide community support, and ensure that both mom and baby have everything they need.
Through an initial grant, Hello Neighbor was able to identify the need and begin planning the launch of the New Moms Support Program. But it only covered half of the cost to launch this new program. Now we’re looking to raise $10,000 and that’s where you come in!
Help us get this initiative off the ground and make a real impact in support of moms and families. With the help of your donation we will be able to officially launch this program later this year!
How You Can Help:
Donate - your donation will go a long way:
- $10 buys diaper cream for a newborn
- $75 provides one month’s worth of diapers
- $200 provides one month of formula
- $500 provides medical support for mom and baby
- $1,000 provides baby clothing for babies first year
- $2,500 supports the purchase of baby furniture including carseats, strollers, and a crib
Other ways to get involved:
- Share - Share this campaign with 12 friends to help spread the word!
- Sign up to volunteer - Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on becoming an New Mom Advocate this fall. You do not have to be a mom to participate as an Advocate, we welcome anyone who wants to get involved with helping to support Hello Neighbor!
- Stay connected - The New Moms Support Program will be launching in Fall of 2019! You can follow our progress on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter