The Center for Contemporary Dance, Inc. (EIN 20-1694826) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and contributions are tax-deductible under Section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code. FL registration #CH32336. A copy of the official registration and financial information may be obtained from the Division of Consumer Services by calling 800-435-7352 within the State. Registration does not imply endorsement, approval or recommendations by the State.
Here's What Happened
We are facing eviction from our 3,500 square-foot studio space because we have been unable to pay rents totaling $40,000 between October 2017 and May 2018. Here’s why:
At the Center for Contemporary Dance (CCD), we prioritize the delivery of outstanding dance education experiences to children and families from underrepresented populations. For this reason, many of the people we serve through place-based and community programs come from households listed below the federal poverty level. So, when Hurricane Irma hit Florida in September 2017, we were most concerned about the storm’s impact on families already in a vulnerable position.
Even with sliding-scale tuition rates in place, these families had to make the difficult decision to stop their studies in dance to recover from storm losses, leaving the organization with a $20,000 per month deficit—that’s a $180,000 loss over the course of the past school year.
Through private donations, forfeiture of salaries by our Executive and Artistic Directors, grant funding and other tuitions, we were able to recover nearly $80,000 for staff payroll but have been unable to make up the remaining $100,000. This has left us unable to cover rent between October 2017 and May 2018, totaling $40,000.
While our landlords have been kind and patient in working with us, they could no longer hold out, and have evicted us from our space.
BUT, with continued generosity, they have agreed to allow us to initiate this crowdfunding campaign and will RETURN OUR SPACE to us if we can cover the minimum rent due of $40,000 before it’s leased to another tenant. This could be any day.
So, we’re reaching out to YOU, to help us continue in our mission to celebrate diversity and inclusion through excellence in dance. In order to do that, here’s what we need:
● An immediate $40,000, to cover past-due rents and overturn eviction proceedings
● An additional $20,000, received by June 30, to cover 4 months of future rent, so we can fully execute a strategy for recovery and sustainability that includes:
● Marketing the organization at a cost of $20,000 over the next 4 months. These funds must be raised by June 30.
· ● Launching public school programs costing $10,000 that are designed to prevent school violence, promote fitness in youth and call new students into the studio space. These funds must be raised by June 30.
· ● Establishing a production budget of $10,000, so we can publicly present new and powerful art works that reflect the diversity of our community, vivifying our mission and inspiring public support. These funds must be raised by June 30.
That’s a total of $100,000 needed to sustain the organization and to keep us doing remarkable and important work in the community for many years to come.
View videos about our impact:
Over the course of our 17-year history, the Center for Contemporary Dance (CCD) has:
● Reached a quarter million young people through place-based, community and in-school arts education programs that cultivate literacy, teach history, promote fitness and inspire an appreciation for dance.
● Incubated and pioneered the explosion of contemporary dance in the area, supporting the launch of 14 local contemporary dance companies.
● Made dance education accessible to 25,000 young people with special needs and those in homeless shelters, the foster care system and LGBTQ counseling programs.
● Produced 275 new dance works that reflect the diversity of our community, highlighting African-American history, disability rights and cultures from across the world.
● Provided more than $350,000 in scholarships to families unable to pay for dance instruction, giving young people of all backgrounds access to a pedagogy that changes lives through dance
Through participation in our programs, students are equipped with the ability to:
- Creatively and constructively express their feelings, thoughts and ideas
- Practice the kind of focus and discipline necessary to achieve excellence
- Work with others to validate their place, impact and value in a community
- Deepen their investments in education, community and self-growth to effectively disrupt the cycle of poverty
As a small nonprofit organization, we depend on every tuition dollar to cover operating expenses, and a loss of $20,000 per month was devastating. If we are unable to recover from the financial impact of Hurricane Irma, the greater loss will be suffered by a community and its children who depend on us to provide them with meaningful dance education experiences that cultivate their creativity, self-esteem, sense of belonging, academic success and social skills.
With your support, we can continue to innovate dance as a tool for social change, allowing more children—across many future generations—to master their emotions, discover their value, become confident leaders and gain access to a multitude of other life-changing lessons.
The Impact of Your Support
We know $100,000 is a big number. In fact, it’s just over 30% of our operating budget, and needed immediately in order to keep us from disappearing.
Because $100,000 impacts the lives so many kids and families who are already deeply invested in our programs, we launched our #SaveCCD Campaign.
Here's what we can do with $100,000:
- Overturn an eviction already in motion
- Cover 4 months of future rent in order to fully execute a detailed strategy for long-term success and sustainability
- Market the organization through the production of new work that vivifies our mission to celebrate diversity and inclusion through dance
- Secure new and major donors who know the social impact of our good work
- Launch public school programs designed to prevent school violence, promote fitness and magnify enrollment in studio classes.
Our vision at CCD is that EVERY person in our region who wants to dance—regardless of race, ethnicity, age, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, gender identity or geographic location—will have access to a game-changing program designed to equip participants with the tools to succeed academically, socially, creatively and emotionally.
We believe our community will see the value of the work and join us in giving underrepresented populations a brighter future, cultivating social justice through dance and supporting the production of new work that accurately represents ALL members of our community.
We believe you will join us in raising this money for kids and a community that deserves access to inclusive arts education models and innovative teaching methods designed to support success for people from ALL backgrounds.
By donating to our #SaveCCD Campaign, you’ll help make sure that our community has uninterrupted access to an organization that is changing lives through dance!
Here's how you'll impact kids in need
We know our programs are changing kids’ lives because they tell us that they are!
According to our annual impact survey, completed by participants and families receiving scholarship and sliding-scale tuition support:
- 92% of the kids said that the program has improved their outlook on life and made them happier
- 100% of parents or guardians of these children report that the dance program has led to improvement in a child's mood, focus and academic performance
- 82% of families with kids ages 12 to 17 credit the Center for Contemporary Dance with inspiring them to become more involved with their community through volunteerism
- 91% of kids said the Center for Contemporary Dance is a place where they feel safe initiating new friendships and creatively communicating their thoughts, ideas and feelings
Your gift makes a world of difference for our community and will #SaveCCD for many future generations, leading them towards their highest potential through dance.
Take Action Today
- Donate Now: When you give, you directly impact the lives of more than 5,000 young people participating in our programs each year, and send a clear message that our community deeply cares about cultivating diversity, inclusion and social change for this generation and many generations to come!
- Tell Your Friends: Please share the #SaveCCD Campaign on Facebook, Twitter and by email—whatever you can do to help us get the word out!
- Share Your Story: We’d love to hear YOUR story about why you believe it’s important to #SaveCCD. Share your story by posting on Facebook!
If we are unable to meet our minimum and most emergent $40,000 fundraising goal, your gift will be used towards the satisfaction of the debt owed to our landlords.
And, if we exceed our fundraising goal, we’ll use your gifts to further sustain the organization and make a difference for more dancers in need. Here’s how:
- Support ongoing marketing endeavors that highlight our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Continue innovating dance as a tool for social change through strategic partnerships with healthcare, social justice and child advocacy agencies
- Provide financial assistance to 80 more kids who are currently waiting for financial assistance to attend our programs.
- Support kids with special needs who participate in a 14-year-old program that successfully mainstreams them into dance classes that are open to the general population. The organization was recognized for its success in this area with a 2017 Diversity & Inclusion Award from the State of Florida Division of Cultural Affairs.
- Fund public school programs reaching 5,000 disadvantaged children, 89% of whom qualify for the federal free-and-reduced meal program. With greater funding, we can invite even more children into established programs, free of charge.
Thank you for helping us to continue our important and effective dance education programs for a community and the kids who need us most. Together, we can and WILL #SaveCCD!