When we met Lynn, she was both new to the community and a new mother. Just a few months earlier, she and her American husband moved from another country to Champaign. Soon after, they welcomed their first child, a baby boy. Lynn was overjoyed to be a new mom, but lacked an adequate postpartum support system. She felt increasingly isolated and depressed. That’s when her midwife reached out to Sistering CU. We matched Lynn with our very first volunteer and for three months, they met every week for two hours. At their meetings, Lynn began to share her story about her native country, her family, and her baby. Our volunteer provided the comfort Lynn needed – a listening ear and extra set of hands – to help her transition into motherhood. Soon Lynn began to laugh again. She said she felt more relaxed and happy after the visits. With the help of our volunteer, she found ways to get out into the community and form new relationships. Lynn feels more like herself--more capable and empowered to take on this new adventure.
Few things make us happier than helping a family with a new baby. As a Sistering CU donor, you share our belief that supporting parents with new babies is an investment in our collective future. That with hands-on physical and emotional support, we can nurture, empower, and strengthen more families like Lynn’s. Thanks to you, since our “birth” just nine months ago we have:
- Provided free in-home volunteer support to 12 families.
- Recruited and trained 25 volunteers in non-judgemental listening and basic childcare.
- Hosted a free community film-screening with a panel discussion to raise awareness of maternal mental health and perinatal mood disorders.
- Published a free community resource guide with information for new parents
EVERY $50 HELPS US TRAIN A VOLUNTEER AND HELP A FAMILY IN NEED.
Additionally, your dollars will help support:
1. Development and maintenance of our Resource Guide for families provided for free on our website.
2. Development of a support and volunteer network for continuing education and support of already trained volunteers.
3. Sponsorship of SCU educational events for our local community.
4. Staff to coordinate the growing number of volunteers and families.
5. Training of volunteers to lead SCU parent support groups that will continue to care for families beyond the fourth trimester, continuing to help families like Lynn's.
Every day the Sistering CU network of volunteers is preventing crises, like child abuse, postpartum depression, family stress and more. In fact, we are there to help families ENJOY the transition with new life. The happier and more stable the family, the happier and healthier our community becomes. THANK YOU in advance for partnering with us. TOGETHER, we can support mothers, strengthen families, and build a community that cares for one another.
If you would like to help, please share our campaign with your friends and family, even if you cannot donate. The more we get our story out there the more we can help our community.
Thank you so much for your support!