The 2018 Sleep Out for Homeless Families will be hosted by Family Promise of Linn County and Newbo City Market, on Nov. 10-11, 2018. We invite you to join us as we experience a night away from the comforts of home and spend the night outdoors in a tent on the front lawn or in your car in the front parking lot at Newbo City Market.
Please keep the following in mind when considering participation in this event:
- A limited number of spaces are available.
- You will be asked to sign a Release and Waiver.
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older OR chaperoned by a responsible adult over the age of 25.
- One adult chaperone for every 5 youth participants is required.
- Adult chaperones are responsible for the behavior of their group.
- If you are applying as part of a group, please make sure each member of your group uses the same group name on his or her registration.
- Overnight participants will be asked to arrive at Newbo City Market no later than 6:30 p.m. on Friday, November 10.
- Indoor bathroom facilities will be available until 9 pm.
- Outdoor port-o-johnnies will be available overnight.
The basic fee structure for the 2018 Sleep Out for Homeless Families:
- Each 4-person tent will pay/raise $100.
- Each car will pay/raise $200.
- A simple dinner, breakfast and a spot to pitch a tent or to park the car that you will sleep in will be provided.
- Parking in the front lot is reserved for those who have paid to sleep in their car.
- Tents and cars may be shared by participants.
- Participants are responsible for providing their own tent or car.
- To participate in this event you agree that you will either raise the balance of the funds or pay the remaining fee.
- Should a participant become unable to attend the event, funds raised up to that point cannot be refunded and will go toward helping homeless families in the Cedar Rapids metro area.
- The one participant who pays/raises the most money will win the opportunity to spend the night in a luxury RV! Funds raised must reach a minimum of $1000 to be eligible.
Food and Beverages
- Dinner, breakfast, snacks and water will be provided to Overnight participants.
- No alcohol will be allowed during the Sleep Out.
Entertainment & Education
- Live performances will take place on the outdoor stage from 7 to 10 pm.
- A homeless simulation learning experience will take place indoors from 6:30 to 9 pm.