Storefront Theatre of Indianapolis is a professional, not-for-profit theatre company that focuses on new work by female and minority playwrights. Storefront stages productions in the style of Chicago storefront theaters: with small and intimate settings; raw, and underscored by emotional truth.
With only fifty seats, Storefront theatre offers a theatrical experience that larger houses cannot. When actors are inches from the audience, they perform and connect in a more intimate and visceral way than in a traditional proscenium. Such intimacy also breeds the kind of ensemble work that brings the story and artists to the forefront.
Storefront theatre breeds creativity through limitations. Directors and designers must consider how limited space and budget can be turned into a compelling storytelling environment. This often includes using the entire space, putting the audience in the same aesthetic arena as the actors.
In less than a year of operation, this is what Storefront has accomplished so far:
- Opened INFINITY, our inaugural production, to great acclaim.
- Held our first fundraiser, the Summer Shindig, and reached our event goal.
- Landed feature articles in The Indianapolis Star, Indianapolis Business Journal, and NUVO. We also made two appearances on NPR.
- Announced our second production, PROWESS, opening June 18th at IndyFringe.
- Participated in the PreEnactIndy Festival on Monon 16 in September.
- Co-produced the Circle City New Play Fest last April.
And here's what's next:
- We will announce our second season this winter, with our first 2018-2019 production opening in October.
- Storefront Labs: A multidisciplinary workshop series that will develop and preview future Storefront seasons
- The Second Annual Summer Shindig
We have almost completed our 2017 fundraising goal and are getting ready to move on to our exciting 2018 plans. Your donation will help us pay fair wages to our artists, contribute to material costs for high-quality professional productions, introduce vital new voices to the community, and guide us to our ultimate goal: a permanent space in downtown Indianapolis.
- $10 - $250: Office supplies, software, printing
- $250 - $500: Rental fees and insurance
- $500 - $1,000: Production materials (set, costumes, lighting, props)
- $1,000-$2,500: Artists and staff
- $2,500 - $10,000: A permenant storefront location
Individual donations have been our primary fundraising engine in 2017, accounting for 40% of our total revenue. Donate to our campaign and help carry us into 2018! If we are one of the top ten finishers, Newman's Own Foundation will grant us up to $150,000.
Thank you for supporting Storefront Theatre of Indianapolis!