WHO ARE WE?
We are a group of four Nursing students and two teachers from Bruges, Belgium. Starting March 31st, we will spend one week in Drohobytsj, Ukraïne alongside informal caregivers who care for children with a disability.
During this week, we will cooperate with students from the Drohobych Ivan Franko State Pedagogical University to organize a meaningful week for both the informal caregiver as well as the person(s) they care for. We want to learn more about their living conditions and create more awareness about the shortfall of aid they are confronted with.
The project is supported by Oradea, Parostock and Nadiya (associations without lucrative purpose).
While Belgium has a reliable system of renumeration for informal caregivers, this is not the case in Ukraïne. Due to a lack of home care options, Ukraïnian citizens are forced to take care of the family member themselves.
This has a huge impact on the life of the caregiver: they can feel forced to quit their job to be able to supply adequate care, get into financial difficulties, wind up in social isolation or they can feel lonesome and desolate.
We want the informal caregiver to be able to feel understood, supported, valuable and relaxed
There are a few things we certainly want to achieve during our one-week stay in Ukraïne:
1) Discharging informal caregivers of their duties and giving them the opportunity to relax;
2) Creating an atmosphere of openness, warmth and trust with and between the informal caregivers;
3) Opening the conversation about their difficulties and strengths and supporting them in their needs;
4) Gaining insight into the living conditions of informal caregivers and using this information to create awareness
5) Working on social inclusion of persons with a disability and their informal caregivers.
Under the supervision of Oradea VZW we will publish an article about our findings.
Organizing a candy sale, we are putting effort into trying to collect funding ourselves.
Still, we are asking for your help to be able to provide these families a meaningful and restful week:
- For organizing different activities, we will need a variety of materials (e.g. paint, paper, balloons, …;
- We also want to treat these families to some things they otherwise barely get to experience (e.g. a good meal at a restaurant);
- For organizing transportation for the family to the place of activity;
... and so on.
From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank you for your interest and support in our project!