In 1994, a group of motivated and hardworking volunteers organized the first Cleveland Race for the Cure, laying the groundwork for who we are today. For over 20 years, Susan G. Komen® Northeast Ohio has been fueled by the passion and commitment of hundreds of volunteers and dedicated board and staff members.
Komen Northeast Ohio serves a 22-county region of Northeast Ohio and is one of more than 100 Affiliates around the globe responsible for leading the global movement to end breast cancer forever. From Lorain County to Ashtabula County; from Cuyahoga County to Belmont County; from small hospitals to large county health departments, Komen addresses unmet community needs through education, outreach, screening and survivor support initiatives and through funding local programs targeting medically underserved women and men.
Through events like the Akron Race for the Cure and the Cleveland Race for the Cure, Komen Northeast Ohio invests 75 percent of its net income to support vital local breast health services in our service area, and dedicates the remaining net income – 25 percent – to national research to find the cures. Since 1994, Komen Northeast Ohio has provided more than $15 million in community grants to Northeast Ohio agencies working to end breast cancer. Additionally, more than $5 million has been invested in national research.