When is a bear more than a bear?
It’s an intriguing question, but why are we asking?
Sweet Dreamzzz is posing this question because we're participating in the Newman’s Own Foundation $500K Holiday Challenge to raise funds and awareness for our Early Childhood Sleep Education Program® (ECSEP) – and this giving season, we're asking our supporters to sponsor teddy bears for preschoolers in need.
Buying a soft, cuddly teddy bear for a child is a heartwarming idea. It certainly seems sweet...but is it really that important?
ABSOLUTELY! You see, when you buy a Sweet Dreamzzz teaching teddy bear to support the ECSEP, it’s more than just a bear...
* It teaches a preschooler to turn off the TV and electronics before bedtime and choose relaxing activities, like reading and drawing, to prepare for sleep.
* It helps a 4-year old choose a healthy bedtime snack so that sugar, fat, and caffeine don’t interfere with a calm bedtime and healthy sleep.
* It reminds a child that washing up and brushing teeth is an important step of a healthy bedtime routine.
* It helps a preschooler remember that an 8:00 bedtime will get him/her the 10-13 hours of sleep young children require.
* And yes, it even provides comfort and nighttime security as a child drifts off to sleep.
Head Start and GSRP preschoolers who participate in the ECSEP spend two weeks caring for their teddy bears in the classroom and teaching them how to follow a healthy bedtime routine. After two weeks of hands-on, age-appropriate sleep education, children take their bears home and model all of the healthy sleep habits they learned at school. Published research shows that preschoolers who participated in the ECSEP got an extra 30 minutes of sleep each weeknight. An increase of this significance has been shown to improve children’s memory, alertness, reaction time, and emotional regulation, all of which put them on the path to school success!
Your donation will help a disadvantaged child form healthy sleep habits that can last a lifetime.
$10 buys a bear for one preschooler to use in the classroom and at home.
$40 buys four bears for teachers to use at different learning centers in their classroom year-round.
$200 buys a bag of bears to serve an entire preschool classroom.
Please know that ANY contribution is helpful and makes a difference. And by giving strategically to our campaign, you may be able to have an even greater impact! Check out these Newman's Own Bonus Challenges that can help stretch your donation to serve more families and classrooms in need:
* November 21 (12:00 pm ET) to November 28 (11:59:59 pm ET) - for every $500 Sweet Dreamzzz raises online, we will be entered for a chance to win $2,500. There will be one winner each day for a total of eight winners.
* December 5 (2:00 pm ET) to December 12 (1:59:59 pm ET) - Every organization that raises at least $1,000 online this week will be entered for a chance to win $2,500. There will be two winners.
* December 26 (2:00 pm ET) to January 3 (1:59:59 pm ET) - Every organization that raises at least $1,000 online this week will be entered to win $2,500. There will be two winners.
* December 31 from 12:00 am ET to 11:59:59 pm ET (one day only) - The organization that gets the most donations online from unique donors will win $10,000.
Thank you for considering Sweet Dreamzzz. Remember, a bear is more than a bear when you donate to our Early Childhood Sleep Education Program! With your support, children will be empowered to get the sleep they need to succeed in school and in life.