Help support Roque and his classmates on this important educational adventure! Capstone
Help me and my classmates fund our Capstone Trip to Puerto Rico!
Previous trip experiences included: - Meeting a local fisherman who shared the impact of invasive species on local waterways and the fishing industry to facilitate learning about preservation and conservation. - Visiting the farm of a family in Luquillo where concepts of composting, organic farming and permaculture were helping change food culture in Puerto Rico by promoting organic food, encouraging sustainable harvests, and contradicting reliance on less affordable overly produced foods.
- Connecting with local natural wonders like hiking El Yunque, the island’s rainforest, and snorkeling in bioluminescent bays in La Parguera.
- Visiting Los Piñones, a local African heritage community to visit the art studio of Samuel Lind.
- Communicating in Spanish with local guides, environmental experts and local students.
- Practicing cultural exchange with a local school where students shared with pen-pals and collaborated throughout their school day.
- Enjoying the tropical fun of swimming pools and beach recreation.
Students leave Puerto Rico with a greater sense of the interconnectedness of language, community, culture, and the environment. Help us learn how we can use our learning to contribute to the community as biliterate and bicultural global citizens.