5k4Refugees mission is simple. Raise money to support refugees and engage others to join us.
This year's donations will directly support the International Rescue Committee. (IRC), which is an organization that serves refugees both overseas and in the United States through their resettlement programs. IRC’s extensive resettlement programs operate in 26 cities across the country.
WHY? Imagine surviving the ravages of war. Losing your house. Your community. Your circle of love and support. Imagine starting all over again in a foreign land, where nothing makes sense. The signs, the sounds, the smells -- all totally foreign. Imagine waking every day and knowing that even the smallest of tasks will present new challenges. Imagine how you can help.
OUR HISTORY: 5K4Refugees began as a group of American expats committed to helping the millions affected by the Syrian Refugee Crisis. Since 2015, 5k4Refugees International Virtual 5k participants in 30 countries raised over $20,000 for CARE International and the Syrian American Medical Society.
THIS YEAR'S CAMPAIGN: This year, we are expanding our focus to include refugees already approved for resettlement in the United States. Each year thousands of refugees are forced to flee their countries due to persecution or conflict and embark on a long journey toward resettlement. This includes years of waiting, interviews, camps and temporary settlements. They survive despite incredible odds and we believe it is our duty to ensure their transition is one that helps them thrive in their new environment, and ultimately become a contributing member of their new communities. We have chosen to fundraise for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) which is an organization that serves refugees both overseas and in the United States through their resettlement programs. IRC’s extensive resettlement programs operate in 26 cities across the country. They help to provide safe housing, access to health care, job placement, community orientation, and temporary financial assistance to newly arrived refugees. Additionally, IRC helps with student enrollment, language classes, and even provides scholarships. IRC helps translate the past experiences of refugees into actions that not only helps the individual, but the communities in which they live. 5k4Refugees believes America’s resilience lies in the diversity of our people. These are divisive times, but we believe in the America that provides safety and freedom for all individuals. The last line of "The New Colossus" on the Statue of Liberty is "I lift my lamp beside the golden door." Will you join us and help IRC ensure refugees are greeted with safety, guidance, and empathy at the Golden Door?
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
1) LIKE our Facebook Page to stay up to date on news from the organizers, pictures from other 5k participants.
2) SIGN UP. It is FREE to sign up! Just hit the "Sign Up" button on our Facebook Page or sign up on our website.
3) DONATE. If you are reading this, you are already on our donation page and we thank you for joining us!
4) T-SHIRTS. We are proud to unveil our updated logo for this year at https://www.customink.com/fundraising/20175k4refugees_irc
Shirts are optional. Although they help raise awareness, the cost of shirt does not include a donation so we encourage you to make an additional donation.
5) RUN. Whether it's just you or a team, run your 5k anytime from November 15th to December 31st and post a picture of you or your team on our page. Be sure to tell us where you are from!
6) PROMOTE. Tell all your friends and help us raise awareness for millions in need.