Working with The Nature Conservancy and the Boy Scouts of America, we will plant 100 trees near Hohhot, Inner Mongolia, with the help of 20-30 volunteers. We will plant trees in Horinger, just outside of Hohhot, in an effort to:
- Mitigate soil erosion and promote a better ecosystem;
- Reduce carbon emissions in the atmosphere; and
- Strengthen international ties of the Boy Scouts of America
Information on Hohhot
Hohhot is the capital of Inner Mongolia, China, and is located five hours by car or one hour and 20 minutes by plane from Beijing. With a population of about 3 million people, it is easy to understand why carbon emissions can have such an impact on the ecosystem.
Also, Hohhot and its neighboring cities of Baotao and Ordos account for more than 60 percent of the total industrial output of Inner Mongolia. Temperatures in the spring typically range from 30-55° F, and it is normally sunny and dry, much like the climate of Colorado.
The budget for this project is approximately $20,000, including the trees for the project, tools, and watering services, as well as meals, lodging, and transportation within Inner Mongolia for volunteers. To raise this large sum of money, I will need all of the help I can get, so be sure to contact your friends, family, and other organizations looking to donate to a great cause. All donations are tax-exempt, and you will be provided a receipt upon donation.
Donations through this website will go directly to The Nature Conservancy for the materials, tools, supplies, ecological services, and professionals required for this project. The first $4,000 in donations will be received by The Nature Conservancy. After this amount has been raised, all future donations should be directed to Boy Scout Troop 1876, with a memo designating the donation for Camden Dempsey’s Eagle Project.
The trees that we will be planting in Horinger are Native Mongolian Pines or Scots Pines. These pines are about 80 cm or about 2.5 feet tall when a sapling, and will be provided for at the project site. Inner Mongolia is quite arid, so a specific “Fish Scale” planting method must be used to insure all trees get the optimal amount of water to survive. As a result of this method, one person can typically plant about four trees a day.
These trees not only help carbon sequestration, but also prevent large-scale erosion that is typical of Inner Mongolia and wreaks havoc on the surrounding farmland. As a team, our goal is to plant 100 or more trees over a two-day period.
If you are considering to become a volunteer for this project, here is some information you need to know:
- The project will take place during the last week of March 2018.
- We will fly to Hohhot through Beijing, stay three days for the project, and likely fly back to Beijing to complete our trip in the amazing capital of China. We will be sure to assist in coordinating flights, hotel reservations, and transportation for the project.
- You will need a China-issued visa and a passport that will not expire within six months after the date of travel. We will be sure to help those who need visas to acquire them.
- Part of the fundraising will be directed toward financial assistance to support volunteer travel.
- Western-style housing and meals will be provided for volunteers during the project in Horinger.
- Volunteers will need to plant four trees per day to ensure the success of the project. - Hohhot is much like Denver, Colorado. The elevation is about 3,600 feet, and the geography consists of grasslands and foothills. The city is modern and has a population of about 3 million people. For those of you who are unsure of the travel conditions, this is not in the middle of nowhere and the Western facilities that we will be staying at have a swimming pool and a bowling alley!
Thank You For Your Support!
I am extremely excited about this project! With your support, I look forward to bringing China and the U.S. closer together, and to making an impact on the ecological and environmental future of China! Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have or for more information. I look forward to working with you!
My Email: email@example.com
My Phone Number: (720) 955-9108
My WeChat ID: CamdenDempsey