Jan arrigo via Crowdrise
June 04, 2011
Mary Kocy wrote -
On July 31 at the break of dawn I plan to water ski all the way around Manhattan to fully fund two pilot projects to help 60 veterans at the Rusk Institute of Rehabilitative Medicine’s Traumatic Brain Injury Institute.
This means that I will brave the dangers of the waterways surrounding our island. Fierce currents; wake from the QE II; sludge that creeps into the East River from the Long Island Sound; hungry alligators that escape from the New York City sewers and who knows what else?
I’m just a regular New Yorker—a small business owner, a terrible housekeeper and the mother of two adolescent daughters. I’ve only been on water skis since vacation last summer.
So why did I decide to create a spectacle by circumnavigating Manhattan Island on jump skis this July? Because I am inspired by the veterans who fought bravely in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and returned home with injuries. And I’m motivated by the groundbreaking work of Dr. Steven Flanagan in the diagnosis and treatment of traumatic brain injury.
With the help and encouragement of Rusk Renovations; Louise Fili Ltd; HR/NY; Island Water Sports; USA Water Ski, Norma Kamali (who is making my spectacular bathing costume), Häfele, we’re working it to raise $120,000 to fully fund the project created by Dr. Flanagan and colleagues at the Rusk Institute.
By at least one estimate, 50% of our veterans who return home have suffered mild traumatic brain injury (TBI). Funds raised by One Good Turn Around Manhattan will go toward researching more effective treatments and help veterans with mild TBI find employment.
Trust me, water skiing around Manhattan is no easy task. I have to stay up on my skis for 33 miles and navigate all the hazards of five bodies of water! According to our research, nobody has ever done it—or nobody who has bragged about it like I plan to.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Help motivate me to make it all the way by pledging whatever amount you can give. All donations are welcomed and much appreciated. Your contribution will help our veterans recover from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and mild Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and find jobs to support themselves and their families. And think about it this way—if I take a spill, or if a school of barracudas get to me, it will make for a great YouTube video.
One Good Turn Around Manhattan will also be a spectator event designed to make a big splash and raise awareness for these important projects. Join us at the frontier of research and treatment for our brave men and women in uniform. Find out more about becoming a sponsor (link) or a member of our team.
And most definitely check out the prizes your generosity can earn you!
Thank you so much!
PRESENTING SPONSOR: $25,000 * Exclusive Opportunity for a Single Sponsor
- Exclusive Presenting Sponsor Listing of company logo on Event Website
- Exclusive Presenting Sponsor Listing on all press releases
- Company name and logo prominently featured and listed as Presenting Sponsor on all event signage, promotions and collateral material
- Sponsor Banner with company logo to be displayed on the boat
GOLD SPONSOR: $10,000
- Prominent Gold Sponsor Listing of company logo on event Website
- Prominent Gold Sponsor Listing on all press releases
- Company name and logo prominently featured and listed as Gold Sponsors on all event signage, promotions and collateral material.
SILVER SPONSOR: $5,000
- Prominent Silver Sponsor Listing of company logo on event Website
- Prominent Silver Sponsor Listing on all press releases
- Company name and logo prominently featured and listed as Silver Sponsors on all
event signage, promotions and collateral material.
VETERAN SPONSOR: $1,500
- This special sponsorship directly helps support one veteran’s efforts to return to work.
- This special sponsorship fully funds one (1) veteran participating in this program.
How will my donation be used?
- $850 Provides vocational rehabilitation for one (1) veteran.
- $650 Provides for neuro imaging brain scan for one (1) veteran.
UNDERWRITING OPPORTUNITIES – HOPE SPONSORS
All of the Hope Sponsors include the appropriate signage.
BREAKFAST SPONSOR $3,500
BOAT SPONSOR $2,200
General contribution $_____