Skip to content

Our Dog Tito Needs A CT Scan

Organized by: kathy pollick

kathy's Photo
kathy's Photo
kathy's Photo

THE STORY:

Tito is a 13 years old chihuahua/jack russell mix member of our family. We have had him since he was eight weeks old. Tito was diagnosed with arthritis of the neck and spine earlier this year. However, in just a few months, his condition has deteriorated so much, his pain is almost constant. He might have one good day in 3 or 4. Because of the pain in his neck, he stands in one position or pose, as shown in the pictures, and does not move for long periods of time. When he does move too quickly or is touched he screams in pain, which is heartbreaking. The doctor stated a CT scan would allow him to fully access Tito's condition and the extent of his health issues, but the CT scan is $1600.00. Once his problems have been evaluated, the cost could skyrocket from there if it is determined surgery would alleviate some of his pain. We really don't want to see him suffer anymore, but we also do not want to have him put to sleep. Tito is getting older, but we feel he has many more years of life to live if we can simply give him that chance.

Tito initially began having problems last fall (2014), but because the symptoms were sporadic, we didn't know what his problem was.  The vet ruled out Lyme disease, and attributed his problems to a viral infection.  He had a round of antibiotics and seemed to be better for awhile.  When his obvious pain got worse, we had an X-ray done.  The vet diagnosed arthritis at that time and gave him a 2 month round of prednisone.  At the end of the 2 months, his condition seemed to worsen, so we went for a second opinion with a different animal hospital.  The second vet diagnosed arthritis also, but gave him an additional 2 months of prednisone, as well as a muscle relaxant, Pepscid for his stomach, and put him on the pain med, Gabapentin.  We went back for a 2 week follow-up and saw the orthopedic surgeon, who continued Tito on the Gabapentin.  He stated if it was simply a ruptured disc or a slipped disc, we would notice an improvement within the month.  As of today, his Gabapentin runs out the first part of May and he actually seems to be getting worse.  We will need to decide soon what our next course of treatment will be.  One good day of minimal pain is really not the quality of life I would like him to have, but I also am not ready to have him put to sleep.  I want him to have a chance to feel better before drastic measures are required. 

$15

 

0% Raised of $4,000 Goal

  •  
  •  
  •  
Organized by

kathy pollick

This is a direct to organizer fundraiser.

Donor Comments

kathy is still setting up this fundraiser so please check back so you can support Our Dog Tito Needs A CT Scan.

Report this page — Let Us Know if you think this page is breaking the law or the CrowdRise Terms