OUT OF THE BINDERS INC via Crowdrise
December 21, 2015
BENEFITING: OUT OF THE BINDERS INC
EVENT DATE: Dec 31, 2015
Out of the Binders is a non-profit devoted to advancing the careers of women and gender non-conforming writers by connecting them with the skills, knowledge, and networking opportunities they need to get ahead as authors, journalists, screenwriters, TV writers, playwrights, poets, and more. In addition to BinderCon, our bicoastal, semi-annual professional development conference, Out of the Binders produces The BinderCast podcast, engages in media advocacy work, and provides online networking opportunities for tens of thousands of writers.
Out of the Binders Success Stories:
- After taking Lisa Selin Davis’s personal essay workshop at BinderCon NY, Julienne Grey wrote and placed an essay about her mother’s death in the New York Times.
- Scholarship recipient Maria Hengeveld met an editor from TheAtlantic.com during speed pitch, and successfully placed her first reported piece.
- Chelsey Drysdale met a Bustle.com editor at breakfast at BinderCon LA and successfully pitched an essay.
- Kirstin Kelley made a contact at BinderCon LA that turned into an internship at Bitch Magazine.
- BinderCon LA helped Amanda Montell move forward with her web series, “The Dirty Word!,” which will be premiering soon on Wifey.TV and After Ellen. She also published an essay in Literary Orphans, after learning of the venue from Anna March and Wendy C. Ortiz’s personal essay workshop.
- Jennifer Pardini met the editor of Modern Loss at BinderCon LA, and has an essay forthcoming on the site.
In order to do the work that we do, we need your support. Out of the Binders is looking to raise $30k – money that will enable us to help more writers, expand our reach, and pay stipends to some of the many hard working volunteers who make our vision a reality.
What will the money be used for?
- Expanding our national program offerings
- Improving opportunities for emerging writers
- Improving Out of the Binders' brand awareness and reach
- Expanding online resources for women and gender non-conforming writers
- Compensate the hard work of devoted Out of the Binders volunteers with modest stipends
The first 10 US-based donors who pledge $20 or more will receive a complete BinderCon pencil set including Roxane Gay quote "I'm just a girl who likes to write."
US-based donors who pledge $50 or more will receive a BinderCon black and pink tote bag (while supplies last).