The van has been purchased!
September 01, 2017
BENEFITING: International Rescue Committee - Seattle, WA
The IRC in Seattle provides critical support to refugee families who are rebuilding their lives in Washington State, and access to transportation can be a challenge for families during their transition to a new home and community. By contributing to a passenger van for the IRC in Seattle, you're helping refugee families access services and resources in our community.
A passenger van will be used for a variety of activities, including:
- Picking up refugee families at the airport
- Taking families to medical appointments and other critical services
- Helping refugee job seekers attend job interviews and professional development training opportunities
- Facilitating community field trips for refugee youth, such as college visits, career shadowing opportunities, and trips to museums
- Helping elder refugees attend health and wellness classes and participate in community gardening
- And more!
The passenger van will make IRC services more efficient and help IRC reduce its carbon footprint in the long-run. In situations where multiple cars and drivers were once needed, only one vehicle and driver will now be required to transport groups. The passenger van will also open up new opportunities to recently-arrived families once limited by transportation options.
All funds donated to this cause will be used for van purchasing, licensing, registration, insurance, maintenance and fuel costs. Any funds raised in excess of the amount required for the vehicle will support the ongoing costs of transportation for the IRC in Seattle’s clients.
Securing a passenger van has been a long-time IRC goal. Thank you for contributing to this campaign and facilitating transportation access for newcomers in our community.