July 07, 2017
On June 30th I will be riding, along with many others, 200 miles in one day from West Des Moines, IA to Lake Okoboji, IA to raise funds and awareness to help support human traffic survivors in Nepal and Des Moines, IA.
When I began my Okoboji 200 journey I was unaware of the cause behind the ride, I was inspired by the physical feat of riding 200 miles in one day. After learning more about the current state of human trafficking, especially locally here in Des Moines, I have all the more motivation to help support the cause and participate in the ride.
• An estimated 27 million adults & 13 million children worldwide are victims of human trafficking. About 9 times the total population of the state of Iowa.
• Approximately 75-80% of human trafficking is for sex.
• 80% of those sold into sexual slavery are under 24; some are as young as six years old.
• An estimated 30,000 victims of sex trafficking die each year from abuse, disease, torture & neglect.
• Des Moines has been named a top 100 site for suspected massage-related trafficking and stories about the human trafficking trade in Des Moines continue to be featured on the news.
There are good things being done to fight human trafficking. Okoboji 200 has raised $220,000 in the last 5 years, with $110,000 raised last year alone, to support victims locally here in Iowa as well as Nepal. Ashton Kutcher’s company, Thorn, is using technology to fight human trafficking and has identified 6,000 victims in six months.
Please join us in the fight against human trafficking and donate to support the cause. For more information about our mission, please check out our website at http://okoboji200.org/why-we-ride/.