Mary's Place wrote -
Over 550 families sleep outside in Seattle every night, mostly single mothers with children, sleeping in places that are cold, wet, and unsafe.
With your help, we can make our goal of moving families out of encampments, doorways and cars and into safe, emergency shelter a reality.
- For every $10,000 we raise, 25 families can get the down payments they need to move in to transitional or permanent housing.
- $120,000 will provide over 10,000 nights of shelter for families currently sleeping outside.
- $200,000 will fund the opening of a Family Center offering complete resources 24/7 to move families forward to more stable living situations more quickly.
- $350,000 will allow us to create a Family Referral System that will connect homeless families with available shelter beds in King, Pierce and Snohomish counties.
- $500,000 would pay for a crisis-response night shelter for one year to bring families experiencing homelessness inside to safety, and provide 18,000 additional bed nights for families in need next year.
Mary’s Place empowers more than 200 homeless women, children, and families each night to reclaim their lives by providing shelter, nourishment, resources, healing and hope in a safe community.
We are building on last year’s success and incredible support for No Child Sleeps Outside. Together with our sponsors and generous community, we raised over $325,000–far surpassing our goal of $250,000! That success allowed us to open the Jackson Street Emergency Family Shelter for the winter, and keep it open an additional four months.
At the Jackson Street shelter we provided 9,320 bed nights, moved 23 families into more stable housing situations and helped over 110 of our families find stability. At Mary’s Place, a homeless family begins its journey out of homelessness and into permanent housing.
This year, we’re doubling our goal. We CAN bring those 550 families inside and out of cars, bus stations, and doorways.
But still there are families being turned away. We need to do more. We need YOUR HELP to bring these families – moms, dads, and children – inside to warmth and safety this winter.