Per Scholas, Inc. via Crowdri...
November 19, 2012
Mozilla Firefox is donating $50,000 to the charity that raises the most money and we want to win that money for Per Scholas. The need could not be greater. Please help us get there!
We just experienced Hurricane Sandy in our home city of New York. Thousands of our fellow New Yorkers lost power, homes, small businesses and jobs. The job loss from Sandy only exacerbates the toll from the economic storm that has robbed good jobs from millions of Americans over the past several years. But while Sandy has gone and we can begin the challenging work of recovery, that other storm still rages across the U.S.
100% of your contribution to Per Scholas will support free IT training and job placement services for hundreds of low-income and unemployed New York and Ohio residents. On average a student comes into Per Scholas making $6,000 annually. Among those placed in jobs after they graduate, the figure jumps to $26,000. That's impact. In fact, Per Scholas was just named one of the top 100 highest-impact nonprofits in America by the S&I Index. Your support measurably improves the lives of our students, the businesses they work in, and our cities' economic competitiveness.
Think about the people in your life who supported your education, and what that education did for you. Think of the people who helped you find your first real job. Where would you be without those people?
By supporting Per Scholas you can play that role in someone else's life who hasn’t been as fortunate. Help turn an individual’s potential into reality.
- 46.2 million Americans today live in poverty, 16.1 million of whom are children.
- 88 million U.S. residents lack the education, skills and credentials to participate in our growing information economy.
- Employer demand for skilled information workers in the IT industry is expected to create 3.7 million new jobs before 2016.
PER SCHOLAS STATISTICS:
- Per Scholas takes advantage of the evolving economy and has trained nearly 4,000 individuals over our history for the competitive skills to establish careers as IT professionals.
- 85% of students graduate from our training program. 80% of those graduates land jobs.
- Per Scholas is New York’s oldest and largest professional IT workforce training provider and now serving Columbus, OH with more cities to come.
- Our students are men and women, ages 18+, who are on some form of public assistance. One-quarter are U.S. Veterans. One-third are custodial parents.
- We are the only professional IT workforce development organization in New York and Columbus serving adults over the age of 25. Individuals get the chance they need regardless of age.
PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE IN US:
- “Indisputable proof that the American Dream still lives.” -Robin Hood Foundation
- “To give people the opportunity to obtain careers is a life changing event. I am truly amazed at how passionate and hardworking the students of Per Scholas are.” - Guy Chiarello, CIO JPMorgan Chase
- “Per Scholas graduates have proven to be ready, willing, and able to deliver the technical and customer service skills I seek for a Fortune 500 organization.” - Felipe Munoz, Unisys
- Selected as one of the top 100 highest-impact nonprofits in America by the Social Impact Exchange.