Calling all patriots and pet lovers!
July 17, 2017
BENEFITING: Pets for Patriots
EVENT DATE: Jun 20, 2017
Did you know that 22 veterans take their own lives each day? Nearly two-thirds are over age 50.
One in 5 Iraq/Afghanistan veterans suffers with major depression, increasing their risk of suicide. Add tens of thousands of veterans living with PTSD, anxiety, depression, substance abuse, and loneliness.
Then consider that every eight seconds a shelter animal is put to death. Many are abandoned. Some are rescued from horrific situations of abuse, neglect, dog fighting, or puppy mills.
Others are given up by their guardians due to financial hardship, or because the animals have aged, become ill, or are simply no longer wanted.
In 2009 Pets for Patriots started with a simple idea: Pair veterans in need of a new pet friend with shelter animals who need hope and a home. But we went a step further.
We focus on those animals who are at greatest risk of death or long-term homelessness. Dogs and cats eligible who are adult or special needs pets, or large breed dogs.
Today, we are nearing our 1,400th life-saving match. Incredible stories like:
- Kara and Tank: a rescue dog helps an Afghanistan veteran reclaim her life from crippling isolation.
- Crystal and Dayzee: a dog with anxiety helps an Army veteran cope with her own Post Traumatic Stress.
- Charles and Sophie: a frightened shelter dog saves a retired veteran from “a bad case of lonely."
87¢ of every dollar we receive goes towards the services we provide. By donating, you become part of our life-saving work.
Pets for Patriots provides a range of benefits to make pet guardianship affordable and to inspire the adoption of these wonderful yet overlooked animals:
- Generous contributions towards ‘welcome home’ pet food and other essentials.
- Veterinary partners who offer our veterans high-quality, reduced cost pet care.
- National retail partners provide savings on pet health insurance, food, treats, supplies, and medication.
- We counsel veterans before adoption, and follow up with them after they adopt.
- Funds to help veterans in our program experiencing short-term financial hardship, or if their pet has a serious - or just seriously expensive - medical need.
Our work helps animal welfare organizations, too.
Pets for Patriots gives partnering shelters, rescues, SPCAs, humane societies, and municipal animal controls another channel to adopt their most overlooked animals.
Pets for Patriots has so much more work to do. Please give as generously as you can. Together, we can Bring Loyalty Home©!