BENEFITING: Peter G Dodge Foundation Inc
ORGANIZER: Peter G Dodge Foundation Inc
Mileage Tracker: 34
This September, I will be running (or walking or jogging) 75 miles to raise funds for the Peter G. Dodge Foundation (www.pgdf.org). PGDF is working to increase options and make treatment for alcohol addiction more effective and accessible to all. As PGDF’s program director, I have learned so much about the devastating effects of alcohol addiction. While aware that it severely and negatively impacts many, it is surprising how far-reaching its full impact is:
- Nearly 70% of substance use disorders are attributed to alcohol only.
- Alcohol abuse is the 4th highest preventable cause of death in the U.S.
- Almost 88,000 people die from it each year - more than all drug overdose deaths combined.
- 28 people in the U.S die every day in a car accident involving an alcohol-impaired driver – that is a death every 51 minutes.
- Teen alcohol use kills 4,700 people each year — that’s more than all illegal drugs combined.
- Alcohol use contributes to the cause of more than 200 diseases and injuries, notably liver damage and cancer.
- About 17% of men and 8% of women will be dependent on alcohol in their lifetime.
Yet only a small percentage of people who need treatment get it. Alcohol use is preventable and treatable – Please join the PGDF team and support our work in this field. Any amount is appreciated.
For more information on the work that we do, please visit: https://pgdf.org/media/PGD_ImpactReport2017.pdf
Thank you so much!