Where will the funds go?
Right now we are looking for funding so that we can bring our Arete Leaders Program to new areas like Morristown, New Jersey. This program meets with scholars monthly and engages them with community service projects and mentoring, building leadership skills, fostering an appreciation for academics and providing useful life skills.
By expanding our program, we will be able to reach more of our scholars and also reach out to younger boys, providing them with reading enrichment opportunities and mentoring and thus fostering purpose and direction at an early age.
What does Platinum Minds do?
Platinum Minds offers students in environmentally challenged neighborhoods with low performing schools the opportunity to continue their academic pursuit in a safe environment where academic excellence is the norm.
Fifty percent of black high school dropouts have been incarcerated. In 2000, there were more black males in prison (791,600) than in college (603,000) according to the 2000 Census; and these statistics continue to worsen. Eighty percent of US inmates under the age of 25 lack a high school diploma and 40 percent are functionally illiterate. When students participate in the Platinum Minds program, they are given leadership skills and the confidence to see themselves as future leaders capable of contributing to their home communities as scholars, mentors, and community servants.
Platinum Minds students are not only given access to better educational opportunities, they are encouraged to invite their peers to share a similar experience.
What's our plan?
1. Create a comprehensive program with a primary focus on better educational opportunities.
2. Empower a group of young men with the desire for change and the tools to make change possible.
3. Provide a missing elementary need of parent and child – an opportunity to experience and know compassion, to feel safe and to boast in the delectable joys of childhood.
4. Don’t allow the overwhelming magnitude of problems and the complexities of the issues plaguing inner-city neighborhoods foster complacency. Search for solutions, for every problem has an answer.
5. Foster the importance of strong leadership.