BENEFITING: Plummer Youth Promise
ORGANIZER: Plummer Youth Promise
EVENT: 2016 Boston Marathon
EVENT DATE: Apr 18, 2016
PLUMMER HOME FOR BOYS wrote -
Plummer Home serves young men and women who have been bouncing around the foster care system for years, or who are at risk of entering the system. We find them families, teach them skills and connect them with community.
Founded in 1855, the mission of Plummer Home is to provide adolescents innovative support and services, in a safe and nurturing environment, to build the relationships and skills necessary for successful adulthood.
Why we do it
Because annually, more than 23,000 youth who have been living in group care or foster care leave the child welfare system with no permanent family.
By age 24:
- Almost 4 in 10 will experience homelessness
- More than half will be unemployed
- 2/3 of the girls will become pregnant
How we do it
Our holistic Model of Care is focused on:
- Finding kids permanent families
- Preparing kids with skills, and
- Connecting them with their communities
Where we do it
- Group Home for 12 boys between 13 and 18 years old.
- Supported Apartment for young men ages 16–22. On same premises as Group Home.
- Community-based 1-bedroom apartments for young men or women who turned 18 while in group care or foster care.
- Foster Care for girls and boys birth to age 22, though we prefer to work with older youth.
- On Point Teen Resource Center for youth at risk of being removed from their families for having minor brushes with the law. Also serves neighborhood youth.
Learn more at: www.plummerhome.org