The ability to read and write can truly make a difference in a child's social, economic and personal development. In India, an estimated 100 million children are functionally illiterate. Without intervention, these kids are left with little opportunity and confined to a life of poverty.
Donate $25 and you can educate a child for an entire year. 94% of every dollar donated to Pratham goes directly to programs so your contribution makes a real and lasting difference.
Founded in 1994, with support from UNICEF and the Mumbai Municipal Corporation, Pratham's mission is to ensure that “every child is in school and learning well.” Today, Pratham is India’s largest non-governmental organization in education, working in 20 states across India, reaching over 1.5 million children annually.
Pratham's approach is to:
- design low-cost content and pedagogical models that can be easily integrated by teachers to engage kids;
- build a collaborative culture with a nework of volunteers, teachers and community stakeholders;
- scale up progams via partnerships with state and district governments to reach a large segment of India’s 100 million illiterate children; and
- track gaps in children's learning to monitor the impact of our programs. Further, we conduct the largest survey of children’s learning levels in India through our Annual State of Education Report, a review cited by education policymakers and replicated by education entities in other countries.
In this manner, Pratham is able to maximize its impact—in nineteen years, we’ve reached more than 33 million children across the country.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAY ABOUT PRATHAM?
- MIT’s Poverty Action Lab has evaluated the effectiveness of Pratham programs for over a decade. Read their findings.
PBS NewsHour recently highlighted Pratham on its Agents of Change segment. Watch the video.
- GiveWell identified Pratham USA as one of six "standout" organizations to give to in its list of top charities and Charity Navigator placed us among the top 1% percent of all non-profits; awarding us four out of a possible four stars for several consecutive years.
Learn more about us us at www.prathamusa.org.