Tony Russell wrote -
Hello and thank you for taking the time to consider helping me with a very special project. I recently heard something that broke my heart and to be honest...literally made me feel sick. It is the fact that Seattle ranks third in the nation for the sex trafficking of minors. The average age for a prostitute turning her first trick is 13. I know that is difficult to read and hear. And maybe that is why we don’t read or hear more about this massive problem. However, we can’t continue to pretend it doesn’t exist just because it makes us uncomfortable.
The name Project 127 is taken from Psalms 127:3, which says children are a gift from God. Think about that for a moment. Children are a gift from the creator of the universe. What do we do with gifts? We cherish and protect them. So what will we do...what should we do with the gifts that God has given us? Alone we can do very little, but if we all allow our hearts to guide us we can join together to make an enormous difference. And by raising funds to support organizations like Compassion2one we can help put an end to sex trafficking not only here in Seattle, but around the world.
Below I have posted some statistics. Please read the last statistic carefully. Because it is the main reason that I am raising funds. According to The Genesis Project, the pacific northwest does not have a safe place for the young victims to go that is open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week (24/7). Well actually there are some places that take in runaways, but there is not a place committed to protecting these girls from getting back into "the life". Yes, they refer to being a human sex slave (prostitue) as being in "the life". My desire is to help them realize that the lifeexists, but they are notin it.
- Pimps target girls or women who seem naive, lonely, homeless, and rebellious. At first, the attention and feigned affection from the pimp convinces her to "be his woman."
- Pimps ultimately keep prostituted women in virtual captivity by verbal abuse making a woman feel that she is utterly worthless: a toilet, a piece of trash; and by physical coercion - beatings and the threat of torture.
- 80% to 95% of all prostitution is pimp-controlled.
- The average age of entry into prostitution is 13 years.
- 73% of victims reported having experienced physical assault in prostitution; 72% were currently or formerly homeless, 62% reported having been raped in prostitution, and 92% stated that they wanted to escape prostitution immediately.
- 65% - 95% of sex-trafficking victims were sexually abused as a child.
- When asked if they had a safe place to go if they would leave the "prostitution business", 87% said yes.
When asked if they had a safe place to go if they would leave the "prostitution business", 87% said yes. Please help us to give them a safe place to go.
Tony & Amy Russell