PROJECT ENLIGHTEN INC via Crowdrise
December 16, 2010
BENEFITING: PROJECT ENLIGHTEN INC
Up to eighty percent of the Cambodian population lives and works in the rural areas of Cambodia. This segment of the population lives far, far below the established poverty line and lacks the most basic of resources, such as access to quality education and economic prosperity.
The heart and soul of BTC is education and economic empowerment of local communities, specifically targeting rural women through a “self-help and self-sustainability” concept. BTC’s primary mission is to change the “status quo” and alter the course of the poorest of the poor live and livelihood through quality education backed with an innovative “trickle up” process.
Quality education is essential in developing economies and sustainable land management practices. Working with local and international partners, BTC shall educate and employ women and men throughout the Bakong District to help build self-sustaining villages. BTC programs shall work with local villages to develop innovative farming techniques, establish viable eco-tourism projects, which are equitable and sustainable for local economies, and protect the environment-including social, cultural, and natural. Secondary education opportunities shall be available to help build a new generation of responsible and caring community leaders and educators.
Economic opportunities are growing in the cultural and ecotourism fields. Angkor Wat temple, a UNESCO’s World Heritage Site, is just one of many popular tourist destinations in Cambodia. The Tonle Sap Lake Biosphere
Reserve and other wildlife habitat reserves provide exciting eco-tourism opportunities.
BTC has strong connections to the local area. Leading BTC board/project members are native Cambodians whose respective families have lived in the area for generations. Most of the property for the project has already been purchased. Long-term commitment has been invested in community development and growth.
BTC shall start small, working with funding partners and the local villagers to complete the building and infrastructure of the BTC campus. As project planned phases are completed, the programs will expand, accordingly, to better serve the needs of Bakong District and providing a sustainable “education model” that can be adopted and replicated throughout the country.
BTC includes the following key components:
• A diverse BTC School Board to guide the planning, design, and development.
• Five experienced Academic Advisors (Ph-d in various educational fields) to guide the BTC academic program.
• Developing an ecotourism “Center of Excellence” to spread best practices of small enterprises and encourage their use and replication.
• An extensive technical curriculum in conservation, green design, ecotourism, hospitality, small business administration, foreign languages, and computer literacy.
• One year or two year study programs with concurrent enrollment of 300 students.
• Scholarships, grants, student loans, and work-study experience as a big part of this innovative program.
Please contact us for more details.
Coming Soon : www.bakongtechcollege.org
BTC Is Building A “Sustainable” Legacy!