I am so grateful for an opportunity to honor those battling pancreatic cancer, and those who have battled it, including my dad. He passed on eight weeks after being diagnosed with this disease. No human should have to experience the pain that this disease brings, and no family or friend should have to watch their loved one suffer from it.
There is still NO early detection method for pancreatic cancer. It's the fourth leading cause of cancer-related deaths and it's projected to be the second by 2020. It's the only cancer in the top ten cancer killers with a single digit survival rate after five years. In spite of these statistics, it's the least funded of the top ten cancer killers.
All funds raised will go to Project Purple, a not for profit organization that:
- Helps raise awareness and funds towards a cure and early detection methods
- Offers financial aid to patients battling pancreatic cancer to offset the burden of financial expenses associated with living and medical treatment
- Funds support groups for families in need of resources, compassion and encouragement
- Offers research grants for students proposing research into pancreatic cancer
- Works with local politicians to rally support for legislative bills that would augment funding for pancreatic cancer research
- Distributes care bags to newly diagnosed patients to help keep them comfortable during treatment regimens
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and for supporting this cause so close to my heart!