April 29, 2017
WHO ARE WE?
Prajwala is an Anti-trafficking organization based in Hyderabad, India, founded in 1996 by Padmashree Dr. Sunitha Krishnan and Bro Jose Vetticatil, who have committed their lives for the cause. Prajwala is involved at both inter and intra state trafficking rescue operations. It is actively involved in second-generation prevention, rescue, rehabilitation, restoration, and social reintegration of survivors of trafficking from commercial sexual exploitation.
1. Prajwala rescued over 18,000 women and children from sexual slavery.
2. Over 6,500 of the graduates of Prajwala’s rehabilitation program are currently employed
3. Through education, over 8,000 children have been kept out of the sex trade.
4. Sensitized millions of people through Swaraksha, anti-trafficking caravan campaign
5. Prajwala runs 17 transition centers for children
6. Prajwala has conducted training for over 200 senior police and prosecutors from India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka in order to equip skills to appropriately handle cases of human trafficking
7. Prajwala has 2 homes in Hyderabad
COST OF RUNNING THE SHELTER:
$8000/per month: 50 bedded shelter
$12,000/month: 150 bedded children’s shelter
$10,000: Tuition for 9 girls pursuing professional courses
$30: Food for 1 victim/month
$50: Medical care for 1 HIV positive sex trafficked victim/month
$100: Food, clothes and medical care for 1 HIV positive sex trafficked victim/month
Accolades: Prajwala’s founder Ms. Sunitha Krishnan has also received numerous accolades and honors including:
-Dr. Sunitha winner of The Tällberg Foundation Global Leadership Prize , 2016
- Mother Teresa Awards for Social Justice, 2014.
-Woman of Substance Award, Rotary Club Mumbai
- Real Heroes Award from Reliance Foundation and CNN-IBN (2008),
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice Awards (2011)
- Living Legends Award from Human Symphony Foundation (2013)
- Godfrey Phillips National Bravery Award 2013
Prajwala Home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YziMgRL8UZM