BENEFITING: SEALNet, Inc.
EVENT DATE: Aug 03, 2014
Every summer, SEALNet conducts 2-weeks-long projects throughout the region of Southeast Asia in hope to help tackle the regional and local issues. This year, one among the 4 projects is carried out in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam with the goal of EMPOWER and INSPIRE Vietnamese youth living in shelters to BELIEVE in their POTENTIAL to SUCCEED in life, as well as to, promote youth empowerment of two nations (Vietnam and Cambodia)
What we are trying to achieve:
Our project focuses on “Self-Belief Development” and aims to work with two main groups: Vietnamese children living in shelters and Vietnamese and Cambodian high school students.
For the children living in the shelter, we aim to bring out the best potential in them by connecting and motivating them on a personal level. Through multiple approaches, from camping to community service activities, we hope to nurture in them the firm belief that they have the capacities to pursue their dreams and succeed in life just like anyone else.
For the high school students in Vietnam and Cambodia, we look forward to building a platform where students from both countries can be empowered to become social change agents and inspired to enhance cross-nation collaboration. Under close guidance of the mentor team and through a variety of leadership workshops, as well as interactions with the children living in the shelter, the high school students are encouraged to leave the project feeling confident in their ability to step up and take action for their causes.
How we are going to acheive:
a. Leadership Training
- Organize workshops and group activities to train leadership skills (critical thinking, problem-solving, public speaking, teamwork, etc.)
b. Community Outreach
- Involve the children from care shelter in educational workshops (music, science, English) and personal reflection and connection-building activities
- Organize a two-night camp that focuses on enhancing sense of self, of explorations and team bonding
- Run a charity kitchen where the children and project members will cook together and distribute the food to children living on the streets
c. Cultural Exchange
- Homestay program: the Cambodian students will be arranged to stay overnight at a Vietnamese student’s house for two days to get real experiences of local life
- Cultural sharing sessions and performances
What you can do to help us:
We believe that the future of Southeast Asia starts with today’s youth. SEALNet is committed to giving them the opportunity to step up and take the lead in serving their own communities. Join us in serving Southeast Asian communities and promoting the spirit of service leadership among youth! SEALNet’s service work in Southeast Asia is only possible through the continued support from our friends, families, and a variety of organizations committed to our work.
Join hands with us to make our project come to live. We need your support. Click on donation box. Any amount will help us getting closer to bringing new hopes to the underprivileged children we are working toward building their self-belief back.