BENEFITING: Love True A NJ Non Profit Corporation
EVENT DATE: Nov 23, 2014
I am running my first EVER full marathon in Philadelphia this November in an effort to raise money for Love-True to build the FIRST rehabilitation shelter for sex trafficking survivors in New Jersey. [www.love-true.org]
I will be raising money to support Love-True a nonprofit organization that fights the ever-present issue of sex trafficking in New Jersey.
Sex trafficking is a terrible issue in this world that is hardly discussed and many do not even know what it is:
"Sex trafficking within the U.S. is legally defined as commercial sex acts induced by force, fraud, or coercion or commercial sex acts in which the individual induced to perform commercial sex has not attained 18-years of age. Minors as young as 12-years-old are recruited [this can include tricked, trapped or forced] into prostitution in the United States."
*They do not CHOOSE to become prostitutes*
Today, there is currently no where in New Jersey for survivors to go to after they have been trafficked [other than juvenile detention centers where they are treated as criminals]. They are treated as the criminals rather than the victims.
Undergoing such a traumatic experience can ruin or destroy people's lives - not to mention that they feel threatened and think they must return to their trafficker or they will be killed, or a family member may be killed/hurt.
Love-True is planning to build New Jersey's first restoration home for underage victims of sex trafficking. They will need to raise $2 million to fund this home. There is no government funding to help them. They must fund raise it all - Which is why they need your help!
Every cent of the money that is donated to support me running in this race will be donated towards building a home for these young women and men who have nowhere else to turn. Although, a small percentage will be given to crowdrise, therefore if you would like to donate to directly to Love-True, log on to their website www.love-true.org.
KEY Facts about sex trafficking in the United States:
1. Human trafficking generates $9.5 billion yearly in the United States. (United Nations)
2. Approximately 300,000 children are at risk of being prostituted in the United States. (U.S. Department of Justice)
3. The average age of entry into prostitution for a child victim in the United States is 13-14 years old. (U.S. Department of Justice)
4. A pimp can make $150,000-$200,000 per child each year and the average pimp has 4 to 6 girls. (U.S. Justice Department, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children)
5. The average victim may be forced to have sex up to 20-48 times a day. (Polaris Project)
-> 6. Fewer than 100 beds are available in the United States for underage victims. (Health and Human Services)
-->There are less than 100 beds available in the United States to help victims of sex trafficking, although there are over 300,000 people being sex trafficked ..... This is WHY we need this shelter! - Especially in New Jersey, the hub between New York and Philadelphia.
7. A pimp can make $150,000-$200,000 per child each year and the average pimp has 4 to 6 girls. (the U.S. Justice Department, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children)
8. One in three teens on the street will be lured toward prostitution within 48 hours of leaving home. (National Runaway Hotline)
YOU can make a difference!
EVERY little bit counts!
For more information on sex trafficking in New Jersey and the U.S. -