Provincia de Manabi, Ecuador: Earthquake Disaster Relief
Organized by: Alex Bergen
Saturday evening a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck the coast of Ecuador, taking with it 400+ lives and leaving 2000+ injured, and many, many more homeless, without access to clean water, food and shelter. Though a majority of the effects are seen in Esmereldas, Ecuador, devastation is experienced all along the Coast and inland spanning over 300 miles.
While acknowledging the extensive efforts put forth by other disaster relief organizations, there are many communities who seem to slip through the cracks in these moments, especially those in areas deemed lesser in criticality. A conversation this morning with a dear friend Alex Zanahoria of Canoa, Ecuador indicates this is the case for him, his family, and his community- where food supply is quickly running out as aid slowly trickles in. He's currently doing the best he can coordinating relief efforts locally and gathering supplies, monetary support would further empower those efforts.
This campaign is a way to have funds directly channeled to a community in need without the influence of a middle man. Providing whatever assistance possible to friends and a community who have nourished me, and many other travelers, with their homes, food, smiles, and hearts during life changing travels through the beautiful country just this past year.
Most current and pressing needs where 100% of funds will be directed:
- Canned Food (Food supply quickly running out as roadways are obstructed by landslides, food channels cut off, coastal power outages)
- Water/Water Filters (water has been contaminated)
- Bug Repellent nets (many people left homeless and sleeping outside)
- Materials for repairs and the rebuilding of homes
A little goes a long way:
- $5 donation: can feed a family for a day, providing strength to assist others as everyone is working tirelessly
- $15 donation: can protect a family from mosquitoes and the diseases they may carry, offering a sense of comfort, security, and protection.
- $50 donation: can provide 100 people with clean water for the next 5 years by purchase of water filters
Any and all awareness generated is of great help! If monetary support isn't an option for you but still feel called to assist in some way, know you still can by:
- sharing this(or other) campaign(s)
- spreading the word
- sending loving thoughts and prayers (either vibrationally or via social media #PrayersForEcuador)
Thanks so much for taking the time to read. I have never met anyone with bigger hearts than those I've met on my travels through Ecuador and I know if they saw another in need they would do the same.
Peace and Love~